German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Has anyones dog had these symptoms?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mister C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
eyes twitching? could also be vestibular?

I'm not a vet tho. Poor boy hope he will feel better soon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishbecky View Post
I didn't see any eye twitching, Vet looked in his ears (with that tool they use), I trust my vet 110% but its just frustrating not having an answer.
He's just in his bed, seems calm but still slightly rapid breathing and slow and wobbly when up, hes eaten and been drinking a fair amount.
I am not a vet either but my dog did have vestibular syndrome.

I am embarrassed to admit that this went undiagnosed for a while. At first, she started leaning a bit and was more unsteady on her feet. But she also had severe HD, arthritis and was over 15 yrs old at this point so I thought it was simply further progression of her other issues. Then she got even more picky about her food likely because she was feeling nauseous but at the time we chalked it up to her usual pickiness about her food.

Then the leaning and locomotion became more difficult but again, not that unusual considering her severe HD (she used a cart at this point).

Only after weeks of this did she start the eye twitching and things got much, much worse at that point. She went from not so bad to terrible in the span minutes. I think at that point the whole world was spinning before her eyes. She got really scared and her heart was racing--it took a while to calm her down. The vet said it was the worst case she had ever seen.

Vestibular may not explain the pale gums, however. It may explain the heart rate since he may be scared and very disoriented with the world spinning.

As I recall, vestibular is either not treated or an anti-nausea med given.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is online now   Reply With Quote