German Shepherds Forum banner

Anyone Find this Odd?

911 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
My 17 month old GSD Tess likes to drink water from the mud puddles in our backyard. I just fed her and as always, put down a fresh bowel of filtered water. She didn't touch the water after eating, instead she asked to go out and went directly to the nearest hole filled with water...(my yard is a swamp right now, remnants of a very harsh winter). I love her to death but she has some very strange habits.

#3 ·
I guess.....Tess is my first GSD, I have always had a Lab and the difference in the nature of the two breeds is so different. Tess eats dirt, mud, loves roots, dug up my entire garden looking for them when she was a puppy. She doesn't like apples, bananas and all the things you would think a dog likes. My Lab always ate fruit. Every day with Tess is a new adventure, she's a great dog, just think she's a little left of center..

#4 ·
Why does my dog like to eat poo and roll in stinky stuff?

Sometimes they do stuff dogs do.

If the water has been standing a long time or may be contaminated with fertilizer or chemical treatments I would probably consider interrupting her.

#5 ·
Yeah, she eats poo too, but only in the dead of winter when it's frozen. I haven't put any chemicals in my yard in years, however, I still get nervous seeing her drinking it, even though I know it's a dog thing. I've had so many friends loose their dogs at a young age in this past year and so seeing this always gives me pause.

#6 ·
The filtered water may still have a taste/smell of chlorine to it. When I was fishkeeping, the recommendation was to let water sit for 24 hrs to allow the chlorine in the water to evaporate out. Maybe you can try that for a few days and see if your dog likes the house water better after it has sat for a while?

#7 ·
I hate filtered and bottled water too, lol. I love our city tap water (it is treated, fluoridated, has a definite taste) so anytime I have a fresh bottle of water I dump out the bottled water and replace it with tap water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.