German Shepherds Forum banner

5 Month old puppy troubles

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SunCzarina 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have a five month German Shepherd Dog female and she loves other people and dogs. It first started when we took her to the vet, when they hold her and try to give her a check up, she freaks out and cries and whines and squirms like she is being tortured. Then we tried to clean her ears so I was holding her while my boyfriend cleaned her ears and it was the same way, she acts like we are torturing her. We have tried to give her treats while the vet is looking at her or we are and she doesn't even acknowledge the treats, we even tried little pieces of hot dogs, she was not even phased by them. I am afraid that it will get worse as she gets older and gets bigger teeth and will try to bite them as they are trying check her and give her shots. Also it is just embarrassing to bring her there...HELP!

#2 ·
If your vet is close and understanding, try bringing your dog to the vet just for a few social visits. Also at home make sure you are handling your dog all over, like a massage so it gets used to all the body sensations, separate and handle it's toes and paws too, it may need to get nails clipped one day.

#6 ·
This is the approach I mostly utilized with my 3 GSDs over the years...find those moments when your pooch is mellowed out and massage the dog from the tip of their nose to the end of their tail and down each leg to their paws. Long gentle strokes and all the while reassuring the dog with calming vocalizations...if the dog gets annoyed then stop..too little is much better than too much. After each session, you might treat them as well. Eventually, little by little..you will win them over. I have found over the years that once your dog is comfortable with you petting the soft of their stomach..you have won their confidence a 100%...something about that region on a dog has an effect on them....but it just can't be forced. A down/stay with a roll over for a "belly whomp" as I call them becomes a treat for them and certainly helps at the vet. During this process, I eventually get to their mouths, gums and teeth...but it all happens in due time.

I've always clipped my dog's nails and never had a problem and I believe this happens because of the processes I employed above....over time. Grooming the dog is another wonderful time to make this "connection" with your dog....slow, calm and again...in the beginning...too little is much better than too much.

There's a lot to be said for a solid down/stay with the dog on it's side...Over time, I get a bit more picky when the dog is in this position, so even if the dog raises her head, I'll give a gentle verbal of "down" and expect them to rest their head on the ground....and then proceed.

Patience, soothing and gentleness will win the day in this arena....at least it has worked for me.

There are so many benefits of a dog letting you handle them all over....looking for ticks, scrapes and of course clipping their nails as the previous poster cited.

Oh, even though I have reservations about bringing a healthy dog into the vet's office..I did as the other poster mentioned...took many a trip to the vet's office just to weigh her or have the staff scratch my pup's ears.

SuperG

#3 ·
Every since we first got her, I have been feeling her all over just so she would not be this way but yet it is still happening. She does fine at the vet, its just when she gets up on the table and the Techs hold her that she starts to freak out. I do not know what to do to help her and stop her acting this way.

#5 ·
I thought that at first myself but then just tonight we tried to clean her ears ourselves and she acted the same way, all psycho and crazy. I think its the holding her down part which is weird because we have held her since she was a baby, so I don't know what happened.

#8 ·
So I just thought I would update on this situation. After taking her to get fixed and getting her stitches out, we come to find out that she is an angel in the room.....when we are not there! Basically she was putting on a show for her parents and when we aren't in the room she is perfectly fine with what they are doing to her! :) In the end, she was just being a bratty, spoiled little girl :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.