German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Please Help - Puppy Urinating For Attention?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
JonFromNJ

Default Please Help - Puppy Urinating For Attention?

I have a 5 month old GSD who recently starting urinating for what seems like attention or to show displeasure. I'm looking for help on what I can do different to stop this behavior. I have already ruled out a UTI or other medical problem with my vet. I got the puppy at 12 weeks old from a breeder and began crate training. Crate training went well and within a few weeks my boy was holding it overnight and having maybe 1 accident a week in the house, totally expected for a puppy that age. Since hitting the 4 month mark, he yearns for attention all day long. I work from home and make sure I'm giving him attention in the morning, go for our morning walk, and throughout my day. When I can't give him the attention, he begins doing things he knows he's not supposed to do - like putting his paws up on the counter, jumping on the couch - and he stares at me while he does it. I get up, get him off, go back to work, and he does it right again. To show my displeasure, I will usually just quietly get up and leave the room. Then BAM - he urinates, and then lays down in it. There are times when I've walked him literally 15 minutes before, but he will still squeeze out whatever he can and lay in it. He's now peeing in the crate as well - every time he's in there, regardless of how long. Today I walked him, needed to put him in the crate for 15 mins to shower, and by the time I got out, he already urinated. The fact that I've ruled out medical conditions and ensure he was walked immediately before going in the crate leads me to believe he is urinating to convey a feeling - whether it's displeasure, wanting for attention, or something different. I've tried showing my displeasure when he does this, tried ignoring it and only rewarding positive behavior, but nothing has worked. Any help would be appreciated. This is taking a heavy toll on my marriage and pretty soon I may be forced to find a new home for him. My wife is tired of the urine in the house and I can't bathe the dog 5-6 times a day anymore. I have small children and the bacteria from the urine is also a concern. I obviously clean it up, but it gets tracked everyone on paws and feet.
JonFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote