German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is it normal for a breeder to have 10+ litters welped in a 6 month period?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:56 PM
gsdsar

It depends. If the breeder is doing health clearances, has a solid plan and direction for the breedings, then it may be okay.

I would not rule out a breeder with lots of litters a year. Sometimes heat cycles and make availability make it all happen at once.

But, 10+ litters in a 6 mo period would make me look closer. That's a lot. I would ask who cares for the pups, who is in charge if early development and socialization. Stuff like that. Some of the larger breeders may easily have quite a number of bitches. And they may decide to do just one big spring cabang, instead of splitting it between spring a fall. Does not mean they are not worth while. But I would actually want to see the facility. I would want to understand the goals.

The pup I have now came from a breeder that may have 4 litters in a cycles. I talked to her extensively. This is what she does. And I was comfortable with it. But most hobby breeders will have 1-3 litters a season at most. It's an enormous amount of work, raising a litter correctly. And most hobby breeders have jobs aside from breeding.

So again, I would physically check out the kennel. Make sure it's not a glorified puppy mill, pumping out puppies with no goal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome