German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - health, spay, and adoption of new puppy
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kaiser2012
Elite Member

Default health, spay, and adoption of new puppy

So...its been a week and I still just adore this girl every bit as the first day I saw her. Aside from the house-training difficulties and car sickness, she has been amazing. However, I am running into a bit of a bump as far as the adoption process goes.

1) The shelter told me (a week ago) that she was only 12 weeks old. I thought she was at least 16. But nevertheless, the shelter requires that she be spayed before the adoption is approved. Before. There are no vouchers. No allowing her to at least reach 6 months of age. They have her scheduled to be spayed tomorrow. So she will be either 13 weeks old, or a bit older, but she is certainly not 24 weeks by any stretch of the imagination. So, what are the issues I should be wary of with a puppy spayed so young?

2) I think she has a mild upper respirator infection. She had a runny nose 2 days ago (kinda goopy), she has a mild eye infection (minor goopies and tearing), and a sort of cough that happens off and on. The cough is not what I would normally call a "cough" though. But, its also not a wheeze or hacking. It also sounds like a cough thats been cut short. She will do it both while resting and during/after play as well as sometimes during eating or drinking. This started about 4 days ago. I will be bringing her to the vet tomorrow morning as I was directed for the spay, but I want to speak with the vet (who thankfully is my own vet) about her current condition. I am not comfortable with her being spayed if she is not 100% to begin with, and with this being a shelter case I don't even know if they will do a blood panel/thorough checkup or even offer her pain meds (I've been told in many cases they dont).

So, how old do YOU think she is?
What are your thoughts on the two issues above?

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
health, spay, and adoption of new puppy-m1web.jpg   health, spay, and adoption of new puppy-3web.jpg   health, spay, and adoption of new puppy-6web.jpg   health, spay, and adoption of new puppy-1web.jpg   health, spay, and adoption of new puppy-19web.jpg  

health, spay, and adoption of new puppy-23cweb.jpg  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote