German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Working Towards our BH!
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Stig
Elite Member

Default Working Towards our BH!

Hi All,

My dog and I just started working towards our BH! I am looking forward to be a part of this sporting community, to learn & exchange ideas as well as support fellow handlers in SchH.

My female is now 6 y/o. We initially had her evaluated @ 5 months old, but I had not realized what a heavy commitment it was and not wanting to half-a** it, I humbly bowed out. Now that I am in a better position to dedicate to the sport, I recently found a trainer and contacted him about evaluating my female to see if she still had it in her to pursue her BH.

He was honest, but confirmed what I knew about Janka. She isn't the best dog for the sport, but she isn't the worst. She is a nice dog and definitely capable of passing her BH. I have based her training since puppyhood towards earning her BH, so our work has been made a little easier.

We also started her on tracking training as well, and she really enjoys it. We have had 2 sessions out in the field so far. She gets excited when she spots the flag. It is as much a learning experience for me as it is for her, but I think I am way more overwhelmed that she is.

Because one of the other members has a TR1 coming up, we have been working in dirt since that is what he will be tracking in. It amazes me to watch the more advanced dogs track. I know just because I am unable to, it doesn't mean the dogs cannot smell the disturbances in the dirt. Still... it gives me such an adrenaline rush to observe.

Here's to bonding with with our dogs!

~ Rei

The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote