German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog being rude towards my son

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  LeCielEstRouge 
#1 ·
So for some time now, my wife and I have noticed a less than ideal attitude our dog has towards our son. When our son (3 years old) wants to go outside and play with our dog, Onyx generally tends to ignore him. He might play with him for a while but it seems Onyx is more interested in me. He waits by the door for me to come out and as I stand by the door and watch my son run out into the yard yelling in excitement, Onyx just stands in front of me wagging his tail and ignoring my son. I tell him to go play with him but he just turns around and expects me to go out and play. Once I close the door, Onyx might play with him for a few minutes but soon loses interest and sits by the door watching our son but apparently waiting for me.

Now I am the one who does most with Onyx. I take him and my son on long walks, I feed him, comb him, play with him, pet him, do tricks with him and give him more attention than anyone else in our house does. But we originally got him so our son will have a companion as they both grow up. So far, this is not quite the case. My son LOVES Onyx and is never rough or annoying towards him and never does anything that we see would make him like our son any less.

Now, I don't want to start being mean to Onyx or give him the cold shoulder so he will like me less and my son more, but I do want him to be more attached to my son. Any advice as to how I can accomplish this or what more can be done is very welcome. Thanks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As your son, who is a toddler and should NEVER be left alone with a large dog, grows the dog will be more interested in him because he's more fun.

Your dog is not being rude towards your toddler. He's just not interested because you are his person and you are fun.

#3 ·
Michelle, I'm glad you got to this thread first!

Do not force a awkward relationship between your son & dog. Allow it to happen naturally. You have a unrealistic expectation of what they should look like together & this has led to disappointment on your part. Your dog is not being rude...at all. I echo the toddler & dog are always supervised, not left alone.

#4 · (Edited)
Teach your son to train the dog to do simple tricks with treats (if you have taught the dog and trust the dog to be gentle with taking treats).

He looks big as a three year old with that leash on the dog, the dog could pull him right down. But it seems like he knows better?

#5 ·
My twins were 3 when Otto was a pup. There's nothing really rude about it, the dog just finds you more entertaining. Teach your son to throw a ball.

I agree you do not want to leave a 3 year old child outside alone with a young GSD. Especially one who's trying to get his attention. Not saying your son will do anything *wrong* but I have 2 boys. Little boys don't always think through the long game...

#6 ·
Like others have said.. you are just more fun. Sounds like your dog's relationship with your son is like Titan's with other dogs.. he wants nothing to with them after a minute figuring out that mom is the one with thumbs and can throw things. Other's say Titan is "rude" to their dog, and that it just wants to play, but Titan doesn't play with other dogs. He plays fetch with mom because that's much more fun! :)

The relationship will grow when your boy is older probably and can start doing things with the dog alone.. which as other pointed out is not now. lol.

#7 ·
Ya it is never unsupervised. I'm not exactly out there watching but they are always within plain sight through our windows. Onyx is very gentle with our son and I trust him. He knows better than to be rough with the little guy.

My son does help feed him from time to time, mimics the tricks that I do with Onyx (although Onyx looks at me right after to get the final OK) and throws the ball around with Onyx but I think Onyx gets bored with it since my son can't throw the ball too far nor can he wrestle the ball out of his mouth.

I guess it will take some time I just feel bad that my son loves his dog so much but in turn, Onyx is just like, "Well, I guess since the big guy is not playing with me, the little one will do for a few minutes."

#9 · (Edited)
I think the dog is smart. He is smart not to let him get too riled up with the baby human. Because that can go way bad. At the same time, I would not trust my baby human to a canine's intelligence and restraint.

I know all the Carl books makes that look so cool, but some things you can't take back.

But I would include the child in the training. I will never forget when my oldest niece who is in college now was 2. And she would tell Pip, Kennel! and he would go into his crate and sit so she could shut the door.

As the training proceeds, and you are there to back up the child's commands, he will learn to listen to the child too and the relationship will develop.

#11 ·
Sure, and why not? Are there not worse reasons to get a dog. "Oh, my Floofie was so sad, we just needed to get her a playmate."

Getting a dog so that your kids grow up in a home with a dog, with all the memories of growing up with a dog, I can see people doing that.

I have half considered getting a kid, so my dogs could grow up with a kid, but I think that is going a bit far.

I don't think you could do that and hate dogs or even be completely neutral about them.

#13 ·
Dust is our friend.

Kids that grow up in sterile environments do generally have more problems with asthma and stuff like that.

Not sure why I have asthma. Home was never exactly sterile.

Whatever, I read that somewhere. Probably the same place that I read, "People with immaculate homes are boring."

#14 ·
All of mine favor the kids when they are here. My niece stays for weeks at a time and Midnite looks for her when she leaves. When my youngest niece comes over she goes right for the treats and will spend hours training them. She is young but she has watched me and does the same things. I would not allow any of them to walk the dogs and the oldest is 13.

#15 ·
It's good for a boy to have a dog. It teaches him responsibility and gives a dog another loving member in his "pack" especially when I am at work. We are all boys and enjoy being boys together. I just want Onyx to love my son the way he loves me. We have a great relationship. And as for the walking pic, no way would I let him walk Onyx fresh!! I give my son the leash for a little bit after a 45 minute walk in the fields where he exhausts himself chasing rabbits unsuccessfully. This lets Onyx know that my son is still above him and needs to obey him.

#18 ·
What your describing is actually ideal. Your dog should defer to you ..he should not listen to a toddler. Most people usually have the opposite issue , pup playing too rough with small children , stealing their food from their hands . You're lucky that way :)

My kids are 2 , 5 , and 7 . He plays with them some , and when they have been sick lately he lays with them. But he would not go outside if they told him too , etc. My 7 year old works on handling him ( I train him ) , gives him treats . He is pretty close to her...but she is almost 8 . If he is with her doing something and I leave the room , he usually runs out to follow me and it hurts her feelings sometimes . I feel it is the breed..they are very handler/trainer oriented..it is their job to be focused on one person even though they can love and play with the whole family.

I think the advice to just have a 3 year old play ball , work on some commands with treats is an excellent start. As he gets older they will grow closer :)

#20 ·
Op- I agree in the sense that it is good for kids to grow up with dogs. I have never lived without a dog and I don't think I could! Our girls are 8 and 3, and the dogs love them and are protective around them (not aggressively, but they will block the kids from strangers that get too close until they feel they are safe). We have never had any accidents with our male, nor with our female yet but she is new. However, I'd still keep a close eye on him around the toddler. I usually sit on the back patio to supervise, because sometimes one dog will see a squirrel and whip around so fast that they may knock someone over accidentally.

But your dog sees you as his main person and that's a good thing. I wouldn't want my dog to prefer my kids and see me as a threat to them. I am both of my dogs' person since I care for them, train and exercise theme that's usually just how it goes. Embrace it and enjoy! Your son will be more "fun" as he gets bigger and can match the needs of the dog. Our female is the typical energetic GSD and the kids couldn't keep up with her if they tried. But our male is more of the nanny type which isn't typical. He's just a big sweetie. GL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.