German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Dog is Okay, Handler Sucks (longish)
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
BowWowMeow
Crowned Member

It sounds like you got a great trainer and you yourself are on the way to learning how to be a great handler for Tygo! I've learned the hard way that dogs can be really different and require personalized training styles.

Rafi is a mali and while his drive is very manageable he is typically sharp and has a low threshold for other dogs messing with him and his toys. He is extremely tolerant and sweet with people but gets excited very quickly around other dogs and small animals. When I first adopted him he got into a lot of altercations with other dogs and I had to really step back and start all over with him. I spent probably 4 or 5 months just observing his reactions to other dogs so that I would know when he was going to go off and could interrupt him and, more importantly, train behaviors that would keep him from getting to that point. Luckily all it takes is a quiet, "Leave it" now and he will immediately back off.

Good luck to you and Tygo! And kudos for being willing to admit your mistakes and learn from them!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote