German Shepherds Forum banner

Can it really be this easy?

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  nktigger99 
#1 ·
So we have had two days of no accidents inside, never had an accident in the crate. Abby will paw at the door and whine when she wants out. Today she came and pawed at me because I could not hear her at the door due to cooking. Can it really be this easy? I will be 100% honest, potty training her was the number one thing I was nerves about. I have only ever PT one other dog and I screwed up and it took forever. This time I am with Abby 24/7 since I am a SAHM so maybe that is what made the big difference. I know I still have to be on my a game to keep her from sliding.

Soon we will introduce the dog door for when we are home.

Love my little girl.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Yes, it was that easy with my 3 GSDs! In fact, this breed has been the easiest for me to housebreak. :)

#7 ·
I had taken three girl puppies to the stud owner's home because she had a buyer for a female.

While we were there with the prospective buyer, one puppy went to the door and started playing with the bell. I thought she might need to go out, it was a good ride in the car, so I opened the door and she went down the steps and peed. Good Girl! She came right back in. About thirty minutes later, she went and played with the bell again. I went and let her out, she trotted down there and pooped. Good girl! And right back inside.

I am thinking the buyer would say, "that one, and point to her." I was actually surprised when they picked the other puppy. But they haven't reported any problems, so she may have been just as easy to house train.

I ended up with the third puppy. Karma. The pee-er. She was a happy-pee-er. She house-trained herself, no problem, but she would trickle every time I came to the babygate to give her pets, or let her out, or put her in. She is 14 months old now, and she's grew out of it. But it was frustrating while it lasted.

#8 ·
Yes!

I've had the luxury of being at home with my last two pups and I don't think either ever 'made a mistake.'

#9 ·
I haven't had any problems with any of mine concerning the dog door. If it's closed, they bang on the door, or come find me. If we are somewhere without a dog door, like a hotel, they jump on the door, or hover around the door doing the "I have to go outside" dance. I've had a dog door with all three of the GSDs as puppies. I close it if it's too wet and rainy out. Or during a tornado warning. ;)

Sent from Petguide.com App

#10 ·
I had a happy pee-er....cucumber my Clumber spaniel was hard to housebreak but once she got it she had an iron bladder....she flew home with me from Germany on the flights from ****.....36 hours in a crate......not a drop until we got to a gas station outside the airport in Dallas. But she had a weakness in my brother, she would get so excitied and pee every time.....and she was undocked with a wonderful feathered tail so it would go everywhere....

#13 ·
If only kids where this easy....lol.....

I think my little sister would send both her daughters away to be trained if she could get away with it. :D

She'd fit her eldest with an e-collar if CPS wouldn't be called in. -- just kidding. But Potty Training has been a serious problem for them. And it kind of rankles that my other sister's girls had completed the process by the age of two, even at night. Not having any kids of my own, I try to sit quietly and keep my nose out.

#14 ·
Yep. Being home makes it REALLY easy but this is an easy breed to train even if you have to be away at work! I just took a few weeks vacation when I got a new puppy then and worked it out with the breeder to get them a little later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.