German Shepherds Forum banner

Won't stop trying to eat deer poop

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
When ever I take him outside he will sniff out the deer poop in the yard and won't stop trying to eat it. I'm doing my best to deter him but should I be concerned about it making him sick? He has had 2/3 of shots. And I'm doing my best to stop it but I'm still concerned and there is nothing I can do about the deer I live in a nature preserve.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
DEFINITELY do not let him eat deer poop. they could be carrying some horrible parasites or diseases. an ex gf had a pug who was a fiend for deer poop. he didn't get sick, but who knows if he picked something up and is now carrying it. my own GS puppy likes drinking disgusting water and has had giardia twice, so as much as it sucks don't just shrug it off you need to stop it. at this point their immunity is very poor and they are extremely vulnerable. avoid the deer poop if you can't stop the eating but if you live in an area covered with it I dunno...do whatever you can to stop it. tug on the leash, scream NO like you're being paid, distract with food, whatever works. don't scare the pup too death but you need to stop it. deer poop must taste good, I'm glad there's none where I currently live

#4 ·
I believe you :( your land shark isn't going to make it easy. sometimes I use a spritzer bottle. fill it with cold water and whenever he goes for some deer poop squirt him with it. you may need to squirt 4-5 times but as long as it's not in the face or eyes there shouldn't be any negative effects at all.

#5 ·
Talked to my vet today about it when I took him to get his shots and the vet said that try to deter but that I don't need to freak out if he gets one or two pieces. Apparently Florida deer don't carry Lyme like the northern state deer do. So that made me feel better he also said I could fence off a section of my yard and make that the potty spot at least until he gets out of the puppy stage where he wants to put everything in his mouth. I'll also try the squirt bottle a try. Thanks!! I feel better now. I was starting to worry and feel like a bad puppy mommy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.