German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Not a "sport prospect"?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
sechattin

Default Not a "sport prospect"?

My pup, Kaiju, is now 9 months old and has done beginner through advanced obedience so a couple months ago I started him on agility basics at a training center. I'm definitely very interested in the sport, but I'm still a newbie - really don't know too much about it, never trained a dog in it, didn't even know it existed until a couple years ago.

He was doing well in foundations, but when the class moved on to actually learning the obstacles, we sort of got relegated to the back of the class and never really got to put in any practice time on the obstacles. When I talked to the trainer leading the class about it, she told me that it was because Kaiju is not a "sport prospect". When I asked her why, she said in no uncertain terms that my shepherd would not be able to keep up with a collie or aussie and suggested I move to the "casual" agility class.

Needless to say, I was pretty miffed. Am I just in over my head? Is it unrealistic to want him to compete seriously against the collies and aussies that inundate the agility world?

I've since moved to a different center and at 9 months he's easily sailing though tunnels, short jumps, tires, across dog walks and the like. And the trainer I'm currently working with says he certainly has the drive to work. The speed apparently is something that will likely show later when he grows out of the super awkward puppy stage he is in now. Thoughts, comments?
sechattin is offline   Reply With Quote