German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Cyst changing size
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nova&Uschi'sMom

Default Cyst changing size

Hi GSD friends,

My 1.5 year old female has a benign cyst on her back (near her right hock). It's been there for several months and doesn't seem to bother her at all. Even though it's just a fatty cyst, the vet recommended we get it removed (said the cell walls were inflamed and could rupture, causing problems). We decided to leave it for now and avoid that hefty bill until it became a problem (quoted us $1,000). I heard these things might sometimes go away on their own, or be with a dog a long time without being an issue.

Over the past few months we noticed it keeps changing in size. It's gotten as large as a ping pong ball, and then as small as a pea. And so on. Does anyone know if this is normal? Nothing has ruptured, so is it just draining internally? Should we be going to the vet or getting it removed?

It still doesn't seem to bother her at all. It's fine to touch, the skin isn't red. She is still her happy self with tons of energy. The only things that have been off this past month is that some mornings she's starting to bury her breakfast instead of eating it (chicken carcass) - but we've also changed the time we feed her to much earlier because of some work changes (she might not be hungry at 5:30/6:00 am). And once a week she'll throw up a little in the late afternoon (just bile). But I think that could also be attributed to the schedule changes and her just being hungry (I'm thinking of giving her a little lunch so the break between breakfast and supper isn't so long).

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking an issue this cyst might be causing! I'm not sure why it keeps changing in size...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cyst changing size-933982_10151660004037408_689322118_n.jpg  
Nova&Uschi'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote