German Shepherds Forum banner

When to start puppy training

990 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  owens91 
#1 ·
hey there i have a 5 week old gs pup, i try to teach her a few things, she seems to have potty training down for the most part but she does have small accidents here and there. i try to teach her the sit and come command but it seems like she is always focused on playing. im wondering is it because shes a lil pup or not, i always thought the earlier the better. so when is a good time to start training or maybe i am doing something wrong?

#2 ·
ask around your neighbors and coworkers for training facility recommendations. Venus and Otto were both at or under 10 weeks when they started. Being a german shepherd, she'll probably get a pass for being more mature at 10 weeks than other breeds at 3 months.

For now, don't worry about training. Worry about potty and teaching her bite inhibition - they learn a lot about social hierarchy and test their limits at the age she's at now. Usually they're still with their litter learning this stuff.

#3 ·
At 5 weeks old, the pup should still be with mom and litter mates. I wouldn't stress any type of training at this point. It doesn't really have the ability to hold it's bladder and it has the attention span of a cracked out knat.

#6 ·
i see, i think she is doing ok with the biting, her bite is less hard than when i first got her, everytime i think she bites too hard i shout ouch and she backs off, i think my gf dog milo helps to because he backs off when it sounds like they getting too rough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.