German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - How to tell if puppies are purebred?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
How to tell if puppies are purebred?

Hello . I'm new to this forum, I'm from Lithuania.
I'm now really starting to consider getting a german shepherd puppy in the summer. I wanted one since I was 12 years old, but we didn't have the space for one. At the moment I'm still considering, reading Puppies for Dummies and etc., thinking of supplies I'd need, if I could take few weeks of vacation when I'd get my puppy.
Also I'm starting to work 3/4 time instead of full and I will have more time available.
I know that the best option is to buy a GSD with papers, however that's not really an option for me, it is a bit too pricey. Here puppies with documents cost about 3-4 times more than without them. And for that I could buy many supplies, food and cover a few vet bills. Even though I'm not a dog expert, I think it is absolutely possible to get a great purebred puppy without papers. Of course from what I've seen online everyone understands "purebred" differently. I just want a companion, it's not for shows or anything (obviously).
Is there a resource that lists the things to look in a puppy to help decide if it's purebred or not? And e.g. things that are not so easily noticed and overlooked by an inexperienced person? Most of the answers I could find on the internet are like "well just look at his papers" or "have his DNA tested" etc.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome