German Shepherds Forum banner

whats your preference; male or female dog?

3K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Cara Fusinato 
#1 ·
I ask becsuse traditionally i always had females- didnt want to deal with the marking, humping, 'popping wood' that came with males. Other than that i honestly was naive to the fact that sexual dimorphism existed much in dogs and certainly didnt humanize dogs by attributing masculine or feminine qualities to male or female dogs. For years ive been told by other male dog owners they prefer males. When pressed for a reason, the response would be something vague and subjective like 'i dont know, they are just cooler'. Ok...i supposed i was aking the wrong people.
When i decided I had the available time and money to make adding a second dog feasable, i wanted another female but knew that this could cause problems. I started asking breeders and trainers. I was often surprised with how they too without hesitation would almost always answer they preferred male. Since ive added my second dog, and without losing an ounce of love or respect for my female, i do kind of get it. And surpsisingly there do seem to be some distinctly masculine qualities about male dogs and vice versa. I always thought that was more the stuff of disney cartoons and that our concepts of gender and personslity dont translate to animals.
Some do seem to. Its a bit of projecting im sure and our ideas of gender are largely influenced by culture but i swear my male acts more masculine and there is distinct femine quality about my female. They arent even both pb gsds (my male may be) so im sure breed and bloodlines etc. may make my husky mix seem girly and delicate versus my male gsd and his massive head and clumsy, brash attitude. But other dogs owners echo the same sense. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I like working a male. I've had both genders and usually make my decision on 'what next' according to what lives in my house at the time. I need the dogs to get along without the crate rotate schedule. So I've gone male/female female/female(due to a rescue I couldn't resist!) Now with the three pack it is female/female/male. My next dog will probably be female but not until the other two are either gone or elderly.
I like both, females are more serious, males are goofy, yet when mature are more assertive. I think it is an individual preference, and changes according to what is in the pack at the time.

#3 ·
I've only had male dogs (2 rotties 1 german shepherd) and I can at least vouch that male dogs are awesome. I've met many amazing female dogs, the most memorable of which was an australian shepherd. I don't know how true this is but I've read that male dogs are protective of their territory and belongings and females are protective of their people.

#4 ·
I get what you're saying, my male dog does seem more masculine to me, in the sounds he makes, the way he acts, the way he's built. My girl dog isn't even the same breed but her voice seems girlier to me.

I prefer males because all the ones I've ever had or met were more affectionate than the females I've known except my current female. I also don't like dealing with them going into heat, I had Xena spayed at 6 months because of it.

#5 ·
I prefer males.
The family dog (female) is demanding, prissy, and extremely vocal. This is just my experience, I know that this doesn't describe female dogs, this is her personality.
I do particularly like the masculinity of males, as well as their common goofball behavior.

#8 ·
Ohhhhhh yes. Demanding and prissy are definitely 2 of Xena's features lol and she "complains" more. A lot of disgusted grunts and huffs at me when she doesn't get her way.

#7 ·
Aha!
Have one of each.
"bad guys" might be afraid of my male, but my female would really hurt them!

#16 ·
I have come to this conclusion with mine too. He is a big bad boy, she is a lean slender female, but my bet is on her if it came down to it.

#9 ·
It's hard not to humanize them. My current boy is all dude, bravado, lipstick hanging out on his foot because he doesn't like to get it dirty, stubborn, goofy, total jock dog. I love the big goof.

My girls have been more serious at a younger age. The girl I have now is 14 months old and most of the time she seems more mature than the boy who's 6 in May.

#10 ·
I like males because they are more goofy when they can be, but then can get totally serious when it's time to be serious. I also think that he is WAY more energetic than all the females my family has had, and I love that(although that could just be him :) ) also think they are more Velcro dogs than females (but all these reasons may be wrong, he's my first male and I haven't had a female in FOREVER!) it's just my opinion though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
Jaxx's mom, you pegged it pretty well....I am in agreement with your observations!

#12 ·
I definitely agree. My males seem more goofy, more affectionate. My male puppy wants to snuggle up close, sits in my lap. Puts his paws over my feet if he's laying near me. My female is affectionate but she is also more aloof than the boys. She stays close, she has her moments of love, but most of the time she is all business and rarely play. She is much more serious and frankly after living with my roommate's female dog's heat cycles. SO not fun.

Only one of us gets to have PMS. >>

#13 ·
Personal preference that really has no reasoning at all other than just preference: female dogs, male cats.

I know many WONDERFUL male dogs, and I'm 100% sure I'll have a male in the future, either intact for competition/sport purposes, or a wonderful neutered male.

But... If given the choice between male or female if everything else is the exact same (which would never happen), I would choose the female. I just just prefer their "energy".

But, every dog is an individual, and require more or less attention, and that could have absolutely nothing to do with gender.

I just like to talk about my girls and my shmexy gay cat. :p

#14 ·
Oh, and talking about goofy males, I think that's a large part of why I prefer females. I get annoyed with too much goof. I'll put up with it, but after a while, I want a dog that doesn't so quickly flip back and forth between happy go lucky and this is all business. I prefer the more serious and aloof females... Because that's my personality. Can be goofy at times, can have done really hilarious quirks, but an overall more serious demeanor. :p

#17 ·
All other things being equal (which, as Serbrider pointed out, would never happen) I prefer males. If for no other reason than no heat cycles.

And my boy, for all his quirks, is incredibly funny/goofy and very much my dog. Little girl watches me like a hawk and I know we're going to have a good working and playing bond - but she already shows signs of being less mine than my boy - more willing to be engaged with other people than he is. (and yes, some of that is likely that she has much better nerves than he does)

I like the extreme closeness I have with him and he made me fall in love with the breed despite his issues. And he is amazingly handsome too ;)

But I am extremely happy with my girls too :) Nyx, thus far, is a perfect blend of the traits I love in each of my adult dogs. And Abby has always been a dolly, albeit a slightly frenetic one :)

#19 ·
And just to show that it's not just males you can have close bonds with (which is not at all what y'all are saying), my older dog has an extremely close bond with me. She wasn't always in my life (got her at 8 weeks old off the street, had gone to boarding school, "lost" her for two years to my grandparents), and despite her living up to three years of her life with other people, she is my dog. Everyone knows it. She's friendly to others, will play with others and lay at their feet... but when everyone else who has cared for her or owned her and done stuff with her is there, and I am... I am always the one she ends up with. She is my dog and I am her human. I love Arya... but so far, nowhere near that kind of bond. And she's a confident dog who enjoys new things... actually traveled across the world following me (with others that entire time... yeah... it's been a rocky road... but she's now back with me for the rest of her life... which I've told her has to be at least 6 more years... :p ). And she is my baby.

And I think growing up with her, as aloof as she can be at times, really made me prefer females. I like a strong bond... but at the same time, I don't want a dog hanging off me all the time. Sit at my feet, look up at me on occasion, and I'm very very happy. :)

#20 ·
Male dogs, I love the goofiness but serious side to them. :) Not that I dislike females but I've found myself prefering the male dogs for sure.

#21 ·
Fine I'll go there

I prefer males for sport work "mondio ring"

They jump better, they bite harder, they run faster, they're more muscular, they're far more likely to push a decoy around and take punishment in stride.

Top competition dogs are usually male for a reason. Not saying you can't have an awesome female that can play with the boys as they certainly do exist, but I am saying it is an aberration.

#22 ·
Males. I love males, I will always have multiple males. Not a big fan of females but my next dog will most likely be a female Doberman. Male/male aggression is very common in Dobermans and because I have 2 male dogs already no reputable breeder will sell me a male Doberman so I will have to get a female and I am ok with that, I know 3 female Dobermans and I like them all. If I don't get a Doberman then I would get another male Dalmatian.

I like males because they are larger, more masculine, they are more affectionate, more silly and they are mama's boys. :wub:

#23 ·
Males. I agree with the other posters who say they are goofier and more openly affectionate.

However, Hans can go from huge goofball to serious biz in about 2 seconds. I really like that about him.

I've never had a female GSD, but we do have a female HTC (Hangin' Tree Cowdog) and she is friendly but affectionate on HER terms. Very independent! Doesn't necessarily want to be touching you, but does want to be nearby. Hans, OTOH, seems to require touching me almost constantly, unless engaged in some type of activity. He will lie on my feet, have his head on my knee or will lean against my leg. He would sit on my lap if I could stand 80 lbs. of dog on my lap. :)

When my husband was searching for a Cowdog, and trying to decide between male and female, a trainer told him that when you're ready to work (cows) a female is ready to go instantly. A male will have to run around a bit and mark his territory a few times before getting to work. Really depends on what you prefer.

At our house, out of 7 pets (two dogs and five cats) there is only one female, so the preference is obvious.

#25 ·
Only problem is "more protective" and "easier to control" is often layman speak for nervy dog. Not always of course but often.

Its kind of like internet dating. When a girl describes herself as full figured read fat. When she says curvy read fat. Even when she says atheletic read fat. Read between those lines.

#26 ·
My female pit mix is way harder to control than Eko lol. She's got her own idea about how she's going to do things and she is not easily persuaded.

I never had a male/female combo before, honestly I like it and I think I will do it this way from now on. Best of both worlds :)

#27 ·
Hmm. I personally prefer males, but have had a couple awesome females. Hubby, on the other hand, prefers females. Go figure. For some reason, I just like the deeper male bark, and their build. But am really happy regardless of the gender, as I love both! :)
Currently have a male now, would get a female for a 2nd dog if hubby relented!

#28 ·
I have had both. I love both. That said, when my boy died, it was noticeable. There is a "way" a mature make GSD fills a room. Their presence is undeniable. I will always have a male.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.