German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Giardia for the second time
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Coraliine

Default Giardia for the second time

My nearly 5month old boy, Juice, was just treated for Giardia using Panacur. We thought everything was better. He was passing solid stools, and then suddenly the squirts hit again.

One full day after ending his Giardia treatment (which lasted 5 days), he started to have light colored watery stools once more. I'm not talking, "Oh, this is just a little wet but still clumps up". I mean, "It's shooting out like a fire hose."

We treated our entire house with bleach and water solution, washed all of his toys (that could be washed), and threw out everything else. We even treated our yard with bleach and water. However, in the Netherlands people don't really pick up after their dogs, and cats are free to roam the neighborhood and often poop everywhere (we think this is how he got it, as he loves to eat poop and dirt).

I'm at wits end. He lost 2kg the last time he had it. He gained that back, but is still incredibly thin/small for his age.

I don't know what else to do to prevent him from becoming re-infected aside from not taking him out on walks anymore (which would be suicide in our house, he's VERY high energy, does not respond to discipline).

Does anyone have any advice? And what can I do to put some extra weight on him? He is eating fine, but I'm afraid that he will lose weight again. He's currently on Nutram Large Breed Puppy kibble.

Unfortunately we'll have to wait until Monday to see the vet, as none in our area are open on the weekend.

Last edited by Coraliine; 03-23-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Coraliine is offline   Reply With Quote