German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Training yourself vs going to classes...
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
ZoeD1217
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
I won't disagree with any of the above. I thought the exposure to other dogs was the really important part of dog obedience training, then found myself avoiding other dogs and training my dogs to ignore other dogs anyway.

Just a regular pet guy and my first dog attend puppy class where I found out he was an A hole but we made it through, then my other dogs no formal training. I knew what I wanted in my guys and have had few problems getting there.

My GSD was the one exception people issues that was new to me. But I did the Leerburgh "Who pets my puppy" and he turned out great. Did not do that with my Boxer and save for other training she would have happily driven/rode off with a stranger!
So you don't socialize your dog's with any other dogs? At all? I know I've seen you mention it before. I will never be the type to take my pup to the dog park or for doggie play dates. I am torn on group puppy class. I see socialization thrown around all the time and I certainly don't want to cause problems by under socializing her but I also wonder how much that is needed if I know for a fact we aren't going to go romp around with other dogs. I just want her to be able to walk around the neighborhood on a leash without being a nutjob.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote