German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - 8 Month Old
Thread: 8 Month Old
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
jhowe19

Default 8 Month Old

Hey everyone,

I have an 8 month old German Shepherd who is a real sweetheart. So cuddly, so friendly. I've been working really hard with training but I'm struggling with socializing him outside of the house on walks especially.

When we're out on a walk, he gets tough, his hair raises and he barks at people if we come across them. He has never bitten anyone or had any aggressiveness but we never get close enough to really see what would happen. This morning he was out in the front yard and our neighbour walked outside, and he started barking loudly at her but stood in place and didn't leave the property.

When someone comes into our house he barks at first but then is very friendly and comfortable around people. So I'm wondering how to tackle this aggression outside of the house? I wish I could ask people to bend down and pet him when we pass them on walks but I don't know how he would react, and everyone that comes over he already knows. Would taking him to a dog park help? We have another dog here, a one year old lab, and when other dogs come over to play he is great. I just need to socialize him with people outside of the house and am not sure how to go about this.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jhowe19 is offline   Reply With Quote