German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Unsure
Thread: Unsure
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Shade
Crowned Member

I don't mean to sound rude but how FUN are you to him? While obedience and manners foundations can be started from day 1 it's just as important to build and nurture a bond. Do he have favourite toys, favourite treats, favourite games to play that you only bring out when you're around and sharing with him?

Some puppies see all training as fun, but most see it as just plain ol' work and 'what's in it for me' mentalities. YOU need to show him that you are the true centre of the universe and bringer of ALL good things - food, attention, toys - all of these come from your hand alone.

Start hand feeding him all meals for a few days, at all times have treats and a toy in your pocket to reward him if he gives you eye contact or a behaviour you like. The more he sees you as being the best thing in his life the more he will want to spend time around you. Be upbeat and cheerful around him and ready to praise at a moments notice

He doesn't have to be a huge cuddler right off the bat, Delgado didn't start asking for affection until he was around 1 year old. But when he picked up a toy he immediately brought it to me for me to join him in play - it may take a while but the effort you put in will be worth it in the end.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote