German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice about my almost 4 year old GSD
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
jparker0418

Default Need some advice about my almost 4 year old GSD

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for a long time. My GSD Elle will be 4 on May 4th of this year. She is a great dog all around. She is very obedient and listens (most of the time) and is very close to both me and my husband, but I am her master. I feel like she isn't socialized. We don't have a lot of company so usually it's just me, my husband, and her. We took her to puppy obedience school when she was around 12 weeks old, but that's about it. When I try to take her out to like Petsmart or something she whines in the car here and there. I have driven her around ever since we got her because I wanted her to feel comfortable. She seems excited when we go for a car ride so I don't know. When we get there I take her seat belt off and put her leash on and she jumps out. The problem with taking her anywhere is that I feel like I have no control over her whatsoever. She is so consumed by other people and her surroundings that I feel like she basically could care less the commands I am giving her. I need for her to listen to me out in public. When we go for walks she listens, but it's just places that she's unfamiliar with. It's embarrassing to me to take her because I feel like I have no control and that's the last thing that people want to see is a person who looks like they can't control their German Shepherd. I'm just at a loss and I actually paid $50 for a dog trainer to come out to my house for an evaluation of Elle, but the price of training is not in our budget right now. It was like $150/hour. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance.
I am the German Shepherd
jparker0418 is offline   Reply With Quote