German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Pup or Adult GSD??
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Emdog

Default New Pup or Adult GSD??

Hello all. Hope this is in the correct forum... I have a 6 yo male GSD, Kato, who has mild hip issues. He is mostly fine on daily walks and with normal daily activities but when he spends a couple hours playing with my friends gsd pup he shows some soreness in his hips that evening and also most of the next day. He currently gets msm/gluco'/chondroitin and Vit C supplements. I lost my other GSD last summer at the age of 12.

So, I am currently looking for a second GSD again and was originally thinking of getting an adult female. Now I am thinking I would like to get a puppy. Three of my last five dogs were puppies and the last two were rescues.

Now I am questioning whether the puppy would be too much energy for Kato to deal with and may cause his hip issues to exaggerate. This is why my original thought was to get an adult gsd so there wouldn't be the constant puppy energy in the beginning. I want what is best for my current dog and don't know IF there is a correct answer or not.

If anyone has experience with this, or simply an opinion, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Emdog is offline   Reply With Quote