German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Found myself in the dark side of youtube.

15K views 154 replies 27 participants last post by  RocketDog 
#1 ·
So i stummbled upon this little gem, i think this is disturbing on so many levels but one of the more distrubing things about it was the comment by one lady who claimed "people dont realize that this dog was just playing"???? what, even more disturbing was the fact that this man just walked away.

This does not look like play,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRmgVWE84yE

#3 ·
That was no play, that dog should be put down. Those are the things people need to quit making excuses for. That dog is dangerous to everyone, itself included. If that was a teenager or something I'd want to know what happened previous to when the video cut in. A child that small? That dog wouldn't live another day. That was no warning bite.

#7 ·
I do not believe that was a joke. Not by the way that child was screaming. I cannot believe that it took all those people that long to get that dog off of that child. I would also have NOT let that owner walk away. A dog that attacked one of my babies like that?

Reminds me of a call my brother once told me about when he was LE for the city of Kent. Three family rotts had been out with the little two year old girl in the back field. They killed her, ripped her little body apart, and wouldn't allow the parents to come near. They did not own a gun and called the police. My brother and his partner shot all three.

This little child was lucky. :(

#10 ·
OMG!!! That was horrifying. How did those people let that man walk away with that dog?!?!?!?!?!? Disgusting!!! And if I M being honest, that would be one of the times where I would go in full of anger. I don't think the dog would have made it out alive. Honestly. Unacceptable.

Not the US though, sounded like German or Dutch. Not that that makes any difference.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
That was hard to watch.

It was 2012, so not this year, but still. I don't care if a little kid panics or screams or pets a dog without permission that is being walked in a busy public area. That dog is dangerous, and it should be put down.

#12 ·
I don't know what country that is but it's horrifying that the owner was allowed to just walk off with the dog.

#13 ·
That's a horrible thing to happen to a kid. I hope she's OK. At least she didn't get bit. The dog had a hold of her pants.

I wonder what the people that think it's never acceptable to get physical with a dog think about this video. What if that dog was on your leg or arm like that?

#48 ·
Personally, I like to be physical with my dogs. I hug them and rough house with them, and PLAY with them very physically. I am not a fan of physical punishment. Putting a dog into the commanded position, following through with a command, etc, could be considered a physical correction -- but not punishment.

Would I physically punish this dog? No way. What is the point? I would put the dog down. It isn't right. It isn't safe, and no amount of physical punishment will make that dog safe. It is possible that physical punishment contributed to this dog's demise, but that would only be conjecture, and certainly I think dogs can be this insane without having been treated with abusive punishment over time.

But of course, one would do whatever they could do to get the dog to release the child and to prevent the dog from getting at the child again. I do not know if punching would be very effective or the most effective, and might increase the dog's energy and persistence. What you would want is for the dog to release it's grip. Increasing the punching and hitting might make the dog bear down and shake. I don't know, and I would never want to be in such a situation.

But I think I would go for the dog's eyes rather than punching the dog. You have to have a LOT of force to shake a dog with a blow to the head. But it is possible with much less force by going for the eyes, or other vulnerable areas, you might be able to redirect such a dog onto a yourself, so that the child could be removed.

I don't blame the bystanders at all. I would probably be standing there in everyone's way with my mouth hanging open catching flies. I don't know because I have never been in the situation. I hope, I could be a hero and taking part in the rescue. But it is kind of sweet of us to criticize them while we sit on our warm, safe chairs typing on a computer, and picturing ourselves in our make-believe hero-roles.

As for confronting the guy walking away with the dog, well, I might follow him and see where he goes, but the guy has a vicious Rottweiler. Having the attack filmed, one would hope they could get a good description of the guy and figure out who he was by it. I would plaster his face all over the six o'clock news with the phone number of the local police. Someone would turn him in.

By the way, I think using an event like this to make fun of people for their training styles, and ideologies, is kind of crappy.

#15 ·
Yes that is a rare instance where if nobody has a something (break stick etc) to jam between it's jaws, punching the dog in the head is an acceptable solution.

However, it's a random dog on the street attacking a child. Not a 6 month old puppy who doesn't know it's own strength bouncing up and tagging it's master on the arm.

#16 ·
I'm doubting that punching the dog in the head would make it let go.
When my mom's pit bull and lab got into a fight, her pit had a hold of the lab by the throat. I was punching her in the head and face as hard as I could. I made her nose bleed. She didn't budge.

#18 ·
Another ****ter thats due for a needle, I owned a dog like that. The only thing that kept it from attacking children or anything else was that it was more afraid of me then whoever the object of its aggression was. No fooling around with clickers or excuses control, control and more control.
The dog was like that from 4 months old btw, only reason it was able to be out in public was "special" attention from day one.

#102 ·
The person who said why would you want to live like that was me. In response to this.

To which the poster never responded what happened long term to his dog who behaved like this.

I'm also the same person who posted about having had a bitch bite a child that snuck behind her and bear hugged her. Not a serious bite or a dragging off of pants, but a bite non the less.

That bitch was wonderful too. She was also a liability and I knew that from the time she bit the kid across the street. Never to her family, my children were her world but she had a short fuse and she wasn't wired right. Genetic or caused by what happened to her before I had her, who knows. She lived out her life with me, it was a wonderful rich life and I miss her crazy wisdom. However, I don't miss the the management of a dog who's stability is questionable.

So I get where you're coming from.

#19 ·
Why would you want to live with a dog like that? Or live like that, always having to manage a dog that can't control itself.

We didn't see what happened before the attack so it's just armchair quarterbacking to say euthanize it. Maybe the careless owner and careless parent let the child ride the dog like a pony.

#39 ·
it wouldn't even matter if the owners and parents were careless. Any dog that goes after a child that size is a POS. If you're not aware of that as an owner, it's better for all involved that a dog like that be put down. I could live with a warning bite given the right circumstances, I would never in a million years tolerate that type of reaction on a small child from any dog that would own. There are much, much, much better dogs out there that deserve my time and attention.

For those that chose to give every dog like this a chance, good for you. Now do right by the dog and everyone else and keep everyone safe. Don't make excuses.

#34 ·
and where is this project now? Why was he so aggressive? Rescue? Mental defective. Just curious, I used to like projects too.

#24 ·
I got a comment on break sticks deleted for some reason I think it's a dirty word on the forum.

If I had a prong on that dog I'd have used it to prong him off his feet and slam him off the side of a tree or parked car or the ground or possibly all three.

#25 ·
I got a comment on break sticks deleted for some reason I think it's a dirty word on the forum.

If I had a prong on that dog I'd have used it to prong him off his feet and slam him off the side of a tree or parked car or the ground or possibly all three.
How abusive :eek:, its owners like you that create dogs like that. Being all mean and scary. The dog was probably afraid and bit the child so he could relieve his stress. I hope you feel like a big man with your prong collars, break sticks and SHOCK collars! ;)

#26 · (Edited)
Ugh.. scrambling at first but they did succeed. Immobilizing the dog was a good idea. You want to prevent shaking and pulling that ends in tearing but it looked like the dog had a hold of the clothing only. The strike to the face it seems is why it released. Although I don't think punching/striking the face of a dog is a very effective corrective technique, I'm glad it worked out in this case. It doesn't always.

#27 ·
This is why I carry a break stick on walks :/ call me abusive but when I get a dog to let go with it I bet some would change their mind about them.

#29 · (Edited)
Ugh. When you see a small child being drug around helpless like that by a predator animal, very visceral reaction and no sympathy for the dog or it's owners. :mad::mad:

Looks like a beauceron........

Someone did hit the dog, eventually....

Bailiff there have been discussions about breaking up pitt fights here in the past where break sticks were mentioned without issues :confused:

#46 ·
I like taking on project dogs and want to save them but I think incidents like this are completely unacceptable and children always come first.

I'm not a trainer but I'd like to give my input if I may? I'd like to know what the pros think of it. I think there are a couple reasons why dogs may go after human children. 1. Prey. The quick movements of a child coupled with high pitched sounds, and lack of confidence/fear may trigger a prey response. Some dogs may chase but not bite. Some dogs don't see children as prey and then there are dogs that do. 2. Dislike and low tolerance. Some dogs have a small fuse with children and/or puppies. They don't care that the child is not a threat to them. Some are easily annoyed and quick to go overboard "correcting" but won't maul a child. Others have no restraint and want to make them disappear. 3. Fear/uneasiness. The young child's behaviors illicit a prey response in some dogs, while others it's fear-induced aggression. These dogs are usually comfortable with older kids but the small ones 5 and under make them uncomfortable. They react nervously/fearful/uneasy with a child coming towards or walking/running past them. Eventually they may attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.