German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Any one else have bad dog days?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shade
Crowned Member

Dogs have off days just like humans. If I feel Delgado is flat I move back to basics and end on a good note. For instance I had a weird day with Delgado yesterday; we went out for a walk to get the mail. It's a fairly short walk but we were practicing obedience most of the way doing turns, heeling, and automatic sits, etc.

We got the mailbox and I asked him for a down and he refused, I gave him a correction with the prong and he refused again while is really unlike him. After repeating the command he reluctantly obeyed and I praised him and we continued on. We still did obedience until we went home, after dinner and a short rest I worked with him on his downs, including those in motion and he obeyed very well as normal. So today we'll do the same exercise again and see how it goes, if he reacts the same way I know I have homework to do and we'll continue to practice until it's flawless again.

Now in his defense with the amount of snow and ice we've been having this winter we haven't be working our downs outside at all.

I use bad days not as a negative thing but a simple "uh oh" warning sign that we should be working on something a little more. But always keep positive and remember to use baby steps if needed.

One of my personal mantras is “tomorrow is another day” meaning that once today is over it’s over and everything negative that happened dies with the end of the day and the new day is a clean slate to be written on

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote