German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Going from prepared meals to home 'cooked'
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
blackshep
Knighted Member

Default Going from prepared meals to home 'cooked'

So, I'm fairly new to feeding raw (about a year) and started out feeding a commercially prepared diet, because I was afraid of not balancing it properly.

Anyway, over the last few months, I've been mixing in things like chicken backs etc, for the chewing/teeth cleaning aspect.

I've started buying things like beef heart and doing it myself, but I'm still nervous about doing it properly. (This is for my beef meals that I started, I still have to make up meal with other proteins)

My dog eats roughly 800g (this would be on the low side, she might get a bit more if she's looking lean) a day of food, split into two meals.

So I've portioned out a chicken back, beef heart, beef liver and beef kidney for her meals, supplemented with herring oil and Vit E. Does this sound ok?

My problem is, the chicken backs seem to be more bone than meat. Also, the chicken backs weight about 225g, and I've worked out that they should be more like 180g. So how do I get the RMB amount right without overfeeding my dog? Do chicken backs count more like pure bone? There isn't much meat on them, I find. Should I then only feed one per day, vs at both meals? Does beef heart have enough fat? It looks lean.

Also, should I cut the beef heart into smaller pieces? I gave her the whole chunk thinking she'd chew it more, but she pretty much gulped it down whole.

For a different protein choice, is chicken quarters pretty much the right amount of RMB and MM, just need to add organ meat?

blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote