German Shepherds Forum banner

What is the thing said most about your GSD that makes your blood boil?

13K views 113 replies 72 participants last post by  Mishka&Milo 
#1 ·
We here a lot of "what's wrong with its ears?" "Is that a birth defect?" "Are they sewn together?"... And god help us when we go out with her ears glued. One woman just looked at her, then at me, then shook her head and sighed "Americans". Lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
One of my neighbors has a blue doberman. I happened to see this pup for the first time when it was wearing ear post contraption after cropping. That poor woman, she was so guarded in her response to 'can I pet your puppy?' Then she seemed very relieved I knew it was a blue doberman and why it was wearing a couple 'toilet paper rolls' on it's head. :rofl:

Imagine the comments my pup got with X marks the spot on her head. I didn't have to tape those ears, they were good comedy until she was 7 months old and I have a whole book of wisechick responses to is she a lab.

#8 ·
She still gets it once in a while! Almost all grown up with her big tall ears, long legs and skinny teenage german shepherd body.

#9 ·
We have a GSD mix. His mom is a beautiful long-haired Black and Tan GSD. Dad is whatever made it over the fence. But complete strangers love to argue with us that he isn't GSD at all LOL People get quite invested into arguing with me so that I actually have to pull up pictures with him with his mom when he was a pup! People are strange!

#14 ·
Most people have nice things to say about Rocco. Luckily my family loves animals and see all our pets as part of the family. I can only remember one time when Rocco was a "teenager" and we were a out. My daughter had him and he was pulling her (we were still training with leash walking). Some lady started screaming at me saying "you have to choke him!" I ignored her but it really pissed me off and I almost told her to go choke herself (I wish I would have)! Lol.

#16 ·
"It's just a dog."

"He sheds too much, he should be an outside dog."

"You are crazy for spending so much on dog food, I pay $20 for my 30 pound bag of dog food."

"Is that a black Lab?"

"There is no way that he is purebred, GSDs don't come in all black, you need to call the AKC and tell them that they made a mistake registering your dog."

#18 ·
Nothing strangers could say would make my blood boil. I don't value strangers opinion. Mostly, I think their ignorance is funny.

That said, my mother has the ability to make me feel an urge to stick a fork in my ear.

She repeatedly tells everyone within earshot that GSDs are "a man's dog." She loves my husband way more than me (which is fine...when she needs elderly care, he gets her and I'm moving cross country:D ). Its more a jab at me because she believes women are weak and incapable of anything without a man.

I finally broke my silence last time and asked her what experience her opinion was based on. A GSD when we were growing up that only my dad worked with. She wasnt a "man's dog." She was my dads dog.

Funny that my dog won't listen to anything my husband says. Mainly because he spends no time with him, and when he's around he's impatient and cranky.

#20 ·
"You know you need to breed him, don't you? If you don't, he'll end up being aggressive."

#23 ·
How big will he be when he's full grown? Lol he is 2 and 90#. He's big enough already!

He's going to grow up into a mean dog did you not know that when you got him?

#25 ·
I hate it when I take my kids and Athena to the playground and parents grab their children and leave and I hear, "no you can not touch that dog". UGH!! She loves kids and wouldn't hurt a fly. I always set her in platz and she just watches my boys play. I find it really ironic when they bring their yorkies and they won't stop barking yet it is my obedient dog that shouldn't be there.

#26 ·
"You know he's going to rip up all you're furniture right?"
"A big dog like that inside!? Big dogs belong outside and little dogs belong inside."
"I would never pay money for a dog like that!"
The response that I usually want to give is "You don't like my dog? Good well I don't like you!"

#27 ·
Just that my 74 pound female WGSL is 'too small', once and awhile.

The vast majority of comments I get are polite and positive though.

Honestly walking a well behaved shepherd can make you feel like a rock star.....

"Oooooooo look that's a German Shepherd" is the number one comment. Number two most often and usually from kids "oh look, a police dog".

Heck even police stop to say nice things about GSDs.

:D

#28 ·
The worst one for me is people asking me why I get GSDs when "they've all got bad hips." Duh. I get a kick out of playing stupid, and replying: I've never heard of this wonky hip issue, what exactly is it? "Stammer stammer, uh uh, they're all sloped and uh, they all have bad hips." Really, none of mine have ever had this - I don't know what you're talking about, and it sounds like you don't either. Poor people, having to put up with me. That'll teach them to talk to strangers. LOL!

#29 ·
My mother and her "he is too skinny comments" always upset me, i am so tired of hearing about my dogs being to skinny. Tyson is throwing weight on, dexter is just naturally thin. It is so constant with the "skinny" comments. Dex stopped going to grandmas because she feeds him crap, like butter on spoons and tarts. I ended the visits, i had too it was not fair to him, i dont want my dog eating butter off of a spoon then topping it off with endless amount of food. Then it becomes the guilt trip "well if he gets sick he will die instantly because he has no fat to live off of" wth? does that even make sense? no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.