German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - 1 year old male rescue very leash reactive to other dogs
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
matthewm11

Default 1 year old male rescue very leash reactive to other dogs

I posted a few weeks ago a traumitized, half starved (presumably) working line male I found in a city shelter. 'Wow, what a mellow low key dog' I thought as Rocky was literally nodding off on the pain meds he had been given since the shelter had just neutered him days before his adoption. Lol. Yeah, a little self delusion on my part!
Rocky is mostly a good boy, he is obedient and is friendly when approached by humans of all sizes and ages and aloof when someone just passes by. His problem though is with other dogs. He goes insane when he even sees another dog. I have a three year old female; they get along great although rocky is imcredably dominant towards her. Indiana has always been a submissive dog and we have lived with other dogs so she is fine with it.
Rocky, pulls, barks, jumps and whines when we are out walking and he sees another dog. Neither myself nor my female Indy (as far as I can tell) have no anxiety or fear about other dogs so I don't think he is picking up a cue from one of us and I try to divert his attention whiLe continuing to walk forward but this doesn't do much go break his focus on the other dog. I recently bought a prong collar with has helped a lot and a gentle leash correction along with distraction have helped to a degree.
Ive heard it could be due to testosterone remaining in a dogs system for some time after neutering; if that's the case I can manage this until he matures and mellows. If its something else, this is bad innapropriate behavior that needs to be addressed and fixed. Have I contacted a trainer or behaviorist? Not yet although I started looking into that. Am I getting him enough exercise and stimulation? I work from home so I am always out with the two dogs hiking etc and I make sure to work with rocky one on one as often as possible to.
I mentioned his dominance towards Indy my other dog. Its pretty blatent . I put two bowls of food out and he blocks her from access of either bowl and eats from both until he is satisfied. She comes to me for affection and he pushes her out of the way shoving his massive head between me and her. When he barks and reacts to other dogs he doesn't growl, bare teeth, hair On his back isn't standing up. Nothing overtly aggressive or hostile in his posture.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
matthewm11 is offline   Reply With Quote