German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is this ok?
Thread: Is this ok?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tattersail

Thanks for the answers guys!

She's young yet, almost 11 weeks (She's a Shiloh Shepherd if that makes any difference in socialization). Am I maybe starting a little too young? People wanted to come up and pet her all the time, but I asked them to just allow her to approach them, if she did then fine but if not, to just let her be as this is new to her and she seemed much more interested in using her little nose as people walked by as opposed to greeting and what not.

We plan on starting some puppy social classes in the next week or so, should I start with that and gradually build up to bigger experiences, or should I just kind of go along with her in situations I know are safe and act like it's not a big deal while she works things out?

This is only my second puppy... and I made a lot of mistakes with our old guy... I didn't socialize him nearly enough, but he had the patience with me to allow me to figure things out, and by the end, he was everything I could have asked for... Went through **** and back though and am trying to avoid that this time!