German Shepherds Forum banner

What do you do when you can't exercise your high drive pup?

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
It has been a rough couple days for Mr. Titan.. I got extremely sick, with 2 ER trips... Some angry version of food poisoning they think.. between that and this insane random storm going on we haven't been able to do much with Titan in the last 3 days. (BF has been occupied with deployment stuff which is why he hasn't had much time to help with Titan, though has tried when he had a moment).

For those of you with insanely driven dogs that can go go go, barely and off switch, what do you do when you can't get out to exercise your dog for whatever reason?

#2 ·
I have some indoor flyball drills I do with a puppy (that don't require a lot of physical exertion from me). I do sets of these interspersed with sets of obedience work, so by the time I'm done the mind *and* body are pooped! Plus if Legend is working for treats, he's also got a full belly.

#3 ·
I send my husband outside with the balls and ask to to PLEASE not throw them over the fence by mistake.
Oh bummer with the BF and storms. If I can't hear thunder or see lightening we are at least doing that.
I can, however, crate Beau and he settles just fine so it is more a matter of guilt than anything.
Hope you get to feeling better.

#5 ·
Opinions on Melatonin?

I'm sort of in the same situation. On the human side, I am caring for my sister, who because of some flareups with her medical issues, has needed more of my time and care than normal. On the canine side, our yard/field is nearly solid ice. I am not so worried about Jade out there, she doesn't have the drive that Orick has. Orick, on the other hand, is obsessed with the million squirrels in this area, and will run and run looking for them, and jump at the fence if they are on the other side. I haven't let him run out there since we iced over, so I don't know how much sense he would use on the terrible footing--I suspect it wouldn't be much sense at all. I am taking both of them out on a leash to go potty, careful to step anywhere it looks like there is better footing.

SO... Orick's energy is over the top. A friend of mine suggested giving him melatonin until the ice melts... Now, I have used melatonin in the past with my old Rosco, who was terrified of thunder and fireworks, at the suggestion of my vet. It was just one dose to get him through the noise. My friend told me it can be used over a period of time to mellow Orick out a bit. I'm not so sure. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Any experience with melatonin?

#6 ·
I wouldn't use it to control a high energy dog/pup. I use it for Kacie if storms are predicted.
I think doing kitchen obedience, perch work, tug games and maybe some core strengthening type training would work a puppy's mind enough to settle. Try scent discrimination games too when you can't track. There are plenty of things to do to work a dogs mind. Mental is as good as physical for short term exercise(and the core training helps in small spaces to work a dogs body).

#19 ·
Thanks, my thought exactly on the melatonin. I don't want to drug my baby boy, although from what I know, melatonin is supposed to be pretty safe.

Will have to squeeze in inside training time... Also, I think this week is supposed to warm up again, maybe we'll get rid of some of this ice!

Susan

#7 ·
Thanks guys! Training is a good alternative. He settles fine when I tell him enough is enough, and to go lay down. But he does get up an pace and if it remotely looks like we are going outside he is there. I think it's a lot of guilt on my part. He should be back to normal routine in a day or so.

#9 ·
You know, I know a guy who does this for his rot and she LOVES it! Titan also used to love my roomie's yoga ball.. but popped it. lol. I don't know why i haven't thought about one for Titan. lol.

#10 ·
Beau LOVES his Jolly Balls and his favorite is the big horse one. It has so many holes it is funny when it gets in the pool. But it keeps on lasting. When I take him outside in the morning it is the very first thing he jumps on.

#13 ·
Tractor supply has them cheapest. My dogs can't have them anymore....teeth wore down from frozen/sandy jollyball gnawing. I limit the play with them. And be warned they are dangerous if the dog is pushing one into you to play!

#12 ·
I would be killing two birds with one stone and training settling exercises/teaching him how to have an off switch. Practice stays, go to mat exercises, and work on him stay relaxed when you start to move/stir.

He'll be toast in the mind department in no time. ;)

#21 ·
:thumbup: Absolutely!!! Fortunately, all my dogs have good off switches, but I simply wouldn't tolerate bouncing off the walls behavior anyway.

I don't know if it's 100% genetic, or the fact that there is no expectation of mass quantities of physical exercise every day, so when they don't get it, it's no big deal. Exercise the brain, and reinforce calm, relaxed behavior.

#23 ·
Jolly balls are life savers! I bought Gypsy one about 2 weeks ago and she loves it to death. It really is a good toy that will make a GSD tired. Another good thing about the Jolly ball, I got to prove to my dad that it was a toy that Gypsy would enjoy, but have a hard time to destroy.

#26 ·
#27 ·
When Lola had a lump removed from her foot, we weren't able to exercise her for a couple of weeks.

We did things like taking her for car rides, standing outside our property so she could see the world go by, put her kibble food into a Kong Wobbler along with some really large pieces of dried liver (that won't come out) and she had to work to get her food which helped tire her out and also swapping a meal for the largest meaty bone I could find that required her to chew, rip and tear for at least an hour or two.

#29 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice. great ideas for the slow times! The pace is picking up and I plan on being back to routine on Monday.. we've been doing A LOT of fetch since the weather's been nice. I'm finally.. FINALLY back to 100% and am going to have to get back on the ball.. changes coming for Titan! New routine, new food, new toys! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.