German Shepherds Forum banner

another crate question

940 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
How many hours a day should my puppy stay crated. Is it ok to let him roam around the house? Do you only allow a certain amount of time out the crate at one time whether in the house or outside?

#2 ·
No more than 1 hour more than his age in months. 2 months old, 3 hours in crate.

If they are loose, I would have them tethered to you. Can't be out of your sight.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Definitely tether to you when little. It helps with potty training to catch them in the act and reinforce going potty outside. Crate is great but again at least let young ones out every 4 hours.
A good tip is a quiet puppy is NEVER a good thing!!

#10 ·
So my wife has the day off and she is letting our puppy stay out of the crate because he has pottied outside and she sais he isn't leaving her side and being really good. Should the puppy still be crated? Or it is ok for him to be outside of his crate for a couple hours straight.

#13 ·
I have known people that have done that but IMO it's not necessary so long as someone is there with your pup and can watch him. The problem arises when people leave their puppy out and it potties places and chews things. But don't feel bad about putting him in the crate of you guys just need a break. Puppies can be exhausting.. and thats a good time to teach that crate isn't a bad thing :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.