German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Routine Shots, Vacs, and Hips?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Harry and Lola
Elite Member

I don't do my own shots, vet does.

With worms, heartworm I use Heartguard Plus, all other worms I was using a 12 weekly all wormer, now I am experimenting with diatomaceous earth as is suppose to control all types of worms except heart.

With hips and elbows, dysplasia is genetic so is good her breeding bitches and the stud have been scored, however look a bit further back on their pedigree chart for any high scores on a relative. As a puppy there are things you can do environmentally to help not develop dysplasia such as keeping puppy at a good trim weight (not over weight or underweight for that matter), do not exercise excessively - allow plenty of 'free' exercise such as off lead walking in safe areas and if you walk on lead watch for tiredness then stop, don't make puppy run excessively, watch puppy on stairs, don't encourage high jumps and sprint runs with sudden stops. So keeping puppy at a good weight and avoiding excessive exercise with help.

I give mine glucosamine and chondroitin and sometimes green lipped muscle, so any products with these ingredients that are appropriate for puppies is beneficial.

I have never cleaned a dogs teeth with a tooth brush. I give meaty bones, for puppies I always gave chicken wings and turkey necks to puppies.

Good luck and enjoy your puppy

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote