German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New from Texas! Our "Walmart baby" GSD
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
nickelpest

Default New from Texas! Our "Walmart baby" GSD

I just joined today in the hopes of finding out about some bladder issues my GSD is having - that'll go on a thread elsewhere!

My name is Nicole and I live outside Austin, TX with my boyfriend (David), my 7 year old Corgi (Gonzo), and our female GSD (Gretchen) who is approximately 15 months old. We had been wanting to get a second dog for a while and knew we wanted a GSD but we were looking to adopt a rescue.

One of our coworkers came across a very young puppy who was abandoned at Walmart. They were unable to keep her but were willing to take care of her until she found her forever home. We were told she "looks like a German Shepherd," were sent a picture, and that was that. Our vet estimated that she was only 6 weeks old when she was found. She's listed as a GSD mix but everyone tells us she looks 100%. I have to agree...someday we might do one of those silly DNA tests just for fun.

This is not my first GSD - my family had a white male GSD when I was very young and my dad, over 25 years later, still says he was the best dog he'd ever had. We had another GSD when I was growing up (a great family dog but unfortunately we were forced to give him to a friend after he accidentally bit my sister - unhappy face!!!). Gretchen is the first I've raised myself (with David of course).
She is the sweetest dog and loves all people and dogs. We are currently enrolled in obedience classes and will take therapy dog classes as well. I'm confident Gretchen will be able to touch many lives as a certified therapy animal (if she can calm down when she meets strangers!). I work at a residential psychiatric facility for teenagers and already have plans for her there. David is an officer in the Army National Guard and is looking into being able to do work with her with veterans.

I will check in the forums here and there but might be a more passive participant. Looking forward to conversing with you all about our GSDs!
Attached Thumbnails
New from Texas! Our "Walmart baby" GSD-image.jpg  
nickelpest is offline   Reply With Quote