German Shepherds Forum banner

Does RAW make dog stink?

4K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Courtney 
#1 ·
I have been told Fiona stinks, because she is on raw. I think that she smells like a dog. Does anyone else's dog stink?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
This is true, before Lola was treated for thyroid, she constantly had bad ears and itchy skin and had a very different smell, my vet tells me it is because of yeast overgrowth.

I think GSDs have a very unique smell and I like their smell, even other people's GSDs.

#4 ·
I have been told Fiona stinks, because she is on raw. I think that she smells like a dog. Does anyone else's dog stink?

Ours have been exclusively raw fed for 4 years now, and none of them have ever smelled bad. They get bathed with a holistic oatmeal shampoo twice a year: once when it starts warming up, and once right before it starts getting cold. I usually judge a dog's odor by smelling my hands after I've pet and played with them. If I can smell their funk on my hands, then that dog might need a bath. If the smell isn't stinky, then yeah, they just smell like a dog. No issues!

#8 ·
My dog stinks more on raw but I think it's because she drools more when she chews on bones and gets her bedding wet. It's mainly her feet that stink which makes me think bacterial overgrowth. Her coat smells sort of nutty.

We're finally getting her full thyroid panel done next week and I really hope it sheds some light on the mysterious ear problems. Going raw has helped with some problems but not others.

#11 ·
My dogs have always been raw, and the one's i've gotten in for various reasons that I switch to raw all go from having that "dog smell" to not having any smell. About the only time they do is if one happens to puke in a crate while we are traveling or something, but I'm sure just about anything is going to have some smell if they puke on themselves :)

#12 ·
Even when I fed kibble my boy didn't stink. GSD are not stinky dogs like some breeds...Beagles come to mind.

Do you think she has a smell? If so, that's something to investigate. But to say she stinks because she's fed raw is silly.

Some people are so misinformed about a raw diet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.