German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Training Method Concerns
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Baillif
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulnox View Post
I appreciate the responses, and as I mentioned but want to reiterate as to not get on the bad side of anyone, I am not in my post saying I am against the collar itself as a general tool. I understand the uses in more difficult dogs, and even in general training I can see the advantages of having a way to push away unwanted behavior.

My question was more about the class itself, which you have all responded to and I appreciate. Just wanted to be absolutely clear on this.

Thank you again for the responses. I feel better about taking him out of the class, what made me unsure is when I started looking for other classes in the Indianapolis area, quite a few of the more serious trainers seemed to use choke or prong collars in their training, regardless of dog temperament, and that got me wondering if I was the problem when it came to this last class. I think I might just need to go see some classes at the other training sites.
It's a misconception that the tool is for difficult to train dogs. The malinois here learn very quickly and are very easy to treat train. Negative reinforcement through collar pressure is layered over preexisting known commands to strengthen the behavior that's why it's called negative REINFORCEMENT. If you want reliability without resorting to more extreme positive reinforcement tactics it's a good way to go. Again though I'd use prongs. Chokers are silly.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote