German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - lots of socialization threads lately have led me to a question about my new pup.
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
carmspack
Crowned Member

going to the vet and having over zealous young lady vet techs converge on him, already trying to minimize his presence , and plying him with treats.
first of all you treat below the threshold , not on top or over because then you inadvertently rewarding the wrong place in his mind.
you should care about a social dog because that is what makes him safe and confident in a variety of environments. It is not always about the initial response , but the recovery and resilience .

You don't want him inhibited . Being social does not mean being a social butterfly, all fellows well met, heart on sleeve dog . That is contrary to what a good GSD should be.

I wouldn't go to the petsmarty and I wouldn't go to the dog park . He does not need to get personal with dogs met on walks. Just keep on going. He has your Ivan as a dog friend.
On that note I would not have them so together all the time that the young dog annoys Ivan , and that the young dog becomes too dependant on Ivan.
Each is an individual.

You don't need to flood the dog with experience , moving along as if crossing off items from a check list .

One quiet excursion , pleasant , something that you would want to repeat and build on. Next day build on that . Additive and accumulative .
just keep on going places and you be relaxed .

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 03-12-2014 at 03:06 PM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote