German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Chest- Broad, not Narrow
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
wildo
Crowned Member

Default Chest- Broad, not Narrow

Let's talk about the GSD's chest. The breed standard according to the USCA states:

"The chest should be moderately broad, the lower chest as long and pronounced as possible. The depth of the chest should amount to approx. 45 % to 48 % of the height at the withers."

Here are some questions I have:
  1. What part of the dog's conformation defines the chest width? Does the placement of the scapula, and or the length of the humerus give an appearence of a wider/narrower chest? Or is this only a factor of how wide the sternum is?
  2. What is the function of having a wider/narrower chest?
  3. Why do we tend to see narrower chests in Highline dogs? Was this a conscous decision or a by product of other conformation decisions?

Full disclosure- what I really want to talk about is turning ability and how the front end of the dog influences turning ability (especially as it relates to croup angle). But I think before we get to that conversation, it might be wise to understand how the narrowness or wideness of the chest affects things.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by wildo; 03-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote