German Shepherds Forum banner

My GSD Seems More Interested In My Sister (MOVED)

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  HOBY 
#1 ·
Not 100% sure if this is the correct place for the thread or not, so I apologise in advance if it isn't.

So my GSD just turned 3 years old, and I got him when he was 8 weeks old. For his whole life, I have been the one who takes care of him. I walk him, feed him, clean him, play with him, etc. I live with my mother currently, and my sister comes and goes throughout the year. My sister usually sticks around for 3-4 months and is then away for the rest of the year.

Anyway, when my sister isn't living at home, my GSD prefers me over my mother. Every morning when I wake up, he is sleeping at my bedroom door upstairs waiting for me. (He sleeps downstairs). If I sit on the couch to watch television, he runs over as fast as he can to sit with me or play. If I am at the computer, he will come sit next to me for a pat. He seems very interested in me.

He does also go and sit with my mother sometimes too. She has her own dog who is 11 years old, which never leaves her side. But if I sit down, I'm his priority.

However, when my sister is home, I'm no longer the one he really focuses on. He will go sit with her, almost all day. If she shuts the door of the room she is in, he will sit outside waiting. If she walks around or goes outside, he follows. It seems like my sister is his favourite person.

So at first I thought that the reason for this is because he knows she won't be here for a long time, and he wants to spend as much time as he can with her. However, when my dad comes to visit, my GSD still sits at my door and still sees me as his priority.

So I'm really wondering why my dog prefers my sister? She doesn't really do anything with him, other than the occasional play or pat, but most of the time she ignores him, and he still seems so interested. I suppose I am a little jealous, because my GSD is my best friend and I'm just second best to somebody else. And I am assuming this is something that will never disappear and he will always enjoy her presence over mine.

See less See more
#2 ·
wouldn't try to figure it out.

Your pup knows you - and not sure sitting with sister is all you think it is.

#5 ·
I would feel a bit of jealousy too! My little dog at home loves it when I come home, he has always slept with me when he was a young boy and when he started growing up, he decided to sleep with my brother all the time! He would come by my bed and lay down for a couple minutes, but when he thinks I'm asleep.. He would run over to my brother and jump on his bed! It's weird, but I don't know the reason why he does this! But one thing I know is that your GSD loves you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
My guess is that, when your sister comes homes, the rest if the family are excited and happy to see her. The add in the fact that she pretty much ignores your dog, and the dog naturally sees her as more important and a stronger person.

If you feel desperate for your dogs attention, if you constantly try to make him like you more, you become weak. Your sister unknowingly acts and is treated like a leader. So he gravitates to her. The stronger leader.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 · (Edited)
As a complete pack [family] your dog is welcoming your sister back to the pack. The dog remembers her smell, her voice [dogs like to hear the high pitched voice of a woman or child], her body language along with how your sister engaged contact. In a revolving visit like long term coming and going with a person she has known from puppy hood she is excited to see her.
I went through the same kind of thing with my GSD boy Zac [RIP] and my daughter. We got Zac as a 8 wk pup. My daughter was a kid when we got Zac. She played with Zac all the time even though I took total care of him including training. When she went away to college and came home I was chopped liver even though she didn't spend a lot of time with Zac. Same thing when she joined the work force in another city. I never felt bad about it at all. I loved their relationship and the comradery of it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.