German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - RIP Jagger
Thread: RIP Jagger
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
K9POPPY

Default RIP Jagger

We're still grieving the loss of our beloved GSD, Jagger in February, 2014. A large(140 plus from large parentage) guy, sweetest GSD ever, just one of the most beautiful GSD's ever to walk this earth. At age 8 he started having some trouble walking, so off to the vet. X-rays and exam showed our worst fears, DM. To make a long story short, our vet gave him 6 months, and that's what he got- We used every recommended medicine and preparation known to man for DM,including exercise. As it turns out, if your pet survives past 6 months, you are extremely lucky. Jagger came from a well-known, over 40 year breeder of GSD's in Maine, but his parents must have carried the DM gene, along with a heart defect. At the time of his birth, no DM test was available. I realize many are on the fence about the current DM test, but currently this is the only hope for finding a DM free dog. God help you if you have to experience this disease in your GSD, it is the most terrible thing that you will have to live with, for there is NO cure. My hope is that truly GREAT breeders will wise up and test what is being bred for the future of GSD's, no matter what is being said about DM, it's numbers are increasing in GSD's, by having 1 of the most sought-after breeds in the world. (think about it) The current OFA test may be the best solution to reducing DM in GSD's. It is the MOST TERRIBLE DISEASE to your pet. PM me if you have any questions on DM, I have truly read every word written about this disease-
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote