German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Working/sport dogs- socialize?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Other than a few times in a controlled situation as a puppy, my dogs don't play with dogs outside their pack. Vala has a son that belongs to a club member and I have let the young dogs play with him at times. For the most part, though, my dogs don't need doggy friends. I only expect them to treat other dogs with respect and ignore them when on the field or in other daily situations.

I do take my dogs places as do most people who compete. My guys have been in hotel rooms and hung out visiting in the lobby. I take them to pet supply places and to the park. I live in the middle of no where so my dogs don't see many normal every day life type things so I will take them to town at times and just go for walks. When I showed horses my dogs also went to shows with me.

In the situation with the lady with the purse, getting her focus on you and reinforcing the down is how I would have handled it. She was in a down and whining and making noise is not part of the down. She is young and still needs to understand the rules.
Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote