German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - What about small dogs?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
osito23
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I think human ignorance.

You take a GSD six month old puppy. If it started barking and growling and nipping at it's owner, the owner would realize he/she has a problem and take steps to correct the behavior. They would take the behavior seriously.

You take a Chi six month old puppy. It exhibits the exact same behavior as I mentioned. The owner thinks it's funny. "Look how brave my little boy is! He thinks he's a big dog!" and the owner will continue to encourage this behavior by showing off to all of his/her friends the behavior.

Human ignorance.
Yes. I have never had little dogs, but my husband grew up with chihuahuas. He has a soft spot for the little guys so we added a chihuahua/dachshund mix to the family (a rescue, not a "designer" dog). We brought her home at 12 weeks and raised her the same way we've raised our other dogs. She's now 7.5lbs and will be 3 years old in April, and she's every bit as much of a dog as the others are. She's friendly with other people and dogs, very social, obedient, and athletic. She takes a 5 mile off-leash hike in stride and then comes home and snuggles with you. Never once has she growled at or bitten any one.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome