German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Which harness for walking near cliffs??
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Default Which harness for walking near cliffs??

Hi All

I am looking for a harness that is the best for walking near heights like cliffs. I have a 6 month old Gsd who currently has a harness which is just adjustable strapping, custom made but he runs away when I try to put it on him. He clearly finds it uncomfortable, it does rub under the armpits and isn't padded at all.

I walk by cliffs all the time (60ft high on average), I want a harness that if he goes over the cliff (accidents can happen) he can be safely lowered to the ground (via climbing rope I carry in a backpack). So it needs to be a design where his body won't slip out and or be damaged by being suspended while being lowered.

I am looking out for my dogs safety, dogs go over cliffs all the time and I am not going to stop hiking because I have a dog. He goes everywhere with us, literally everywhere so I am hoping people have some suggestions.

I have seen on the web so far, the Julius ones and the Ruffwear ones but can't find comparison reviews.

Thanks for your help.
Volunteered for German Shepherd Rescue of Maryland.

At The Rainbow Bridge:
Petra - (Age 12 1/2) Mar 2009
Kai - (Age approx 9-11) Jan 2009

Koda - Born 28th August 2013
mapjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote