German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Which harness for walking near cliffs??
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
mapjunkie

Default Which harness for walking near cliffs??

Hi All

I am looking for a harness that is the best for walking near heights like cliffs. I have a 6 month old Gsd who currently has a harness which is just adjustable strapping, custom made but he runs away when I try to put it on him. He clearly finds it uncomfortable, it does rub under the armpits and isn't padded at all.

I walk by cliffs all the time (60ft high on average), I want a harness that if he goes over the cliff (accidents can happen) he can be safely lowered to the ground (via climbing rope I carry in a backpack). So it needs to be a design where his body won't slip out and or be damaged by being suspended while being lowered.

I am looking out for my dogs safety, dogs go over cliffs all the time and I am not going to stop hiking because I have a dog. He goes everywhere with us, literally everywhere so I am hoping people have some suggestions.

I have seen on the web so far, the Julius ones and the Ruffwear ones but can't find comparison reviews.

Thanks for your help.

At The Rainbow Bridge:
Petra - (Age 12 1/2) Mar 2009
Kai - (Age approx 9-11) Jan 2009

Koda - Born 28th August 2013
mapjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote