German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New member, opinions please
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
OkieShepherd

Default New member, opinions please

Hello, my wife and I are new to the forums. We found it after a member of our family of 9 1/2 yrs past of bladder cancer. "Thunder" was the best dog we have ever owned. He was a European shepherd and he amazed us on how smart he was. We are in the process of trying to purchase our next family member. Thunder was our first shepherd and really didn't know there were 2 or 3 types of shepherds. As we started to look and research we found that most breeders explain which shepherds they sell. Most are adamant on which type they breed. From what we have read(and talked to different breeders) the euro breed are "workers", "service" and active dogs. We were told the "American" breed are less "hyper", a little bigger and more "relaxed". I work shift work so we want a shepherd that of course will join our family, but will protect my wife. We don't plan on showing, breeding or getting in schutzhund. Without getting into a "war", can people please post or reply with their opinions. I understand you can get a great dog from an adoption or from paying thousands and that just because you pay a lot, doesn't mean your going to get a better dog. I do believe in good genetics. So please post your thoughts on American and European.

David
OkieShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote