German Shepherds Forum banner

"Car ride!" turns to crash

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Daisy&Lucky's Mom 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago Tilda and I were running errands; a mundane Wedsneday. We were about one mile from our exit ramp as light flurries had just begun to coat the highway.

One moment we're jammin' to the radio. The next moment "Black ice" has us spun completely sideways. I try to correct the wheel, but we fishtail violently. Wide-eyed, I peer through the driver's side window as we barrel towards a creek-bed. My "OH SH*T!" meter is officially maxxed out. I raise my my shoulder in an attempt to brace for impact.

My truck rolls through the air like Paris Hilton hopping in and out of beds. A few seconds later, the ride is over. Instantly I call out for Matilda. No response. The cab windows have disintegrated. I climb out to face my ultimate fear, a pup severed/pinned by the truck.

Miraculously, she had been ejected and ran across six lanes of highyway (witness told me). I was grateful but heartbroken. She hadn't been micro chipped and she didn't have a ID tag on her collar.

I thank God I found her and we walked away unscathed. I just wanted to share an important lesson I learned; the hard way.
CHIP YOUR DOG/ID TAG ON THE COLLAR
LEAVE THE LEASH ON THE HOUND DURING RIDES
CONSIDER DOG RESTRAINTS OR AIR KENNELS

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank God you and your pupper are ok! I kennel my dogs in my truck and secure the kennel to the bed. If we have a roll over, it's going to be bad for the both of us. But if it's a wreck with out a roll over, I feel they stand a better chance secure in the bed.

#6 ·
Glad you're OK. Pretty amazing that you could roll and come out only shook up.

Had an adventure of my own with cruise control, patch of ice on a nice clear autumn day last year. I didn't even have time to think of a curse as I delt with the 'exciting' ride.

Mine are almost always seatbelted in the cab with me. I was very glad that the one with me was seatbelted in the back seat of the truck. I'm sure she was happy of that too. If I kennel dogs in the bed, I'd have tie-downs on the kennels. And that wouldn't do much for a roll-over.

Just so glad you were lucky in that regard...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.