German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Should I add this GSD to my home? On the fence...
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zlata

Default Should I add this GSD to my home? On the fence...

I currently have a 1 year old GSD mix that I've had since he was 7 weeks old. I also have two cats. My GSD mix is very loving and excitable. He loves all dogs and people (sometimes a little too much... he can get a little *too* excited.) I had plans of adding another dog to our mix, but sometime in the future.

Well, long story short, my coworker has a friend who has a 5 year old GSD she is looking to rehome. I went out and met the GSD today. She is a very sweet girl. She comes from German working lines and her sire has some national Schutzhund titles. Her current owner attempted to do some Schutzhund with her, but she confessed that she prefers to do agility with her other Aussies more so she stopped doing Schutzhund. She seems very biddable and eager. Even though she is 5, she still had good energy, but she settled down in the house nicely, too.

Her owner wants to rehome her because there have been fights breaking out between the GSD and her Aussie. Both dogs got along fine for years until the Aussie was attacked by a different GSD. Now, the Aussie instigates fights. Things got even worse when the Aussie gave birth to a litter, and now both dogs have to be separated completely. They built an outdoor run connected to the garage for the GSD. Today was the first time the GSD had been in the house in 4 months. The owner assures me that the GSD does fine with other dogs and plays well with others... just not her Aussie.

The owner fully admits that she likes the Aussie more, and she will choose the Aussie over the GSD. The owner also said she owned GSDs her entire life, but when her last GSD died, nothing could compare. Someone bought her the current GSD as a gift, and she admits that it was unfair of her to compare them, but she never truly bonded with the current dog. The current owner is now "onto Aussies," so to speak. I can't help but to feel bad for this dog.

Anyway, I am interested in bringing her home to do a trial run. We also have cats, so it's important to me that the new GSD can get along with cats (current owner has barn cats but not any house cats, so she couldn't comment on that.) If I do decide to do a trial, new GSD will not be left unsupervised with any of my animals. I just want to make that clear.

Is this a bad idea? Should I be running the other way screaming? I don't want to jeopardize my current fur family. But I do think that she is a sweet girl, and I think that she would get along well with my current GSD mix under the right circumstances. I've also never had two dogs at once, so if I do decide to bring her home for a trial run, I hope that someone can provide tips and insight. I figure I can't lose anything by doing a trial run, but I don't want to place unnecessary stress on my fur family, of course. Any advice is appreciated.
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote