German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Raw Diet, help? (moved to raw forum)
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
wdkiser

Sorry to hear you are having trouble switching, but I went through a similar situation when switching our girl to raw. I too thought it was too expensive to switch completely, but have found better resources and now it is cheaper to feed raw. Once I switched both of our dogs to raw, I no longer even worry about their stools. They are more muscular, healthier, and happier. My mutt wouldn't eat turkey, but my GSD loved it. I decided my mutt was being picky, so I figured he would eat it if he got hungry enough and he did after skipping a couple meals. Now he loves it.

As far as the cost goes, you'd be surprised what you can find. Figure out how much you pay per pound for kibble, then you know when you are saving money when you buy meat. One good source I have found is WalMart. 10lbs of chicken leg quarters is $5.90 or $0.59 per pound. You can't buy a quality dog food for anywhere near that price. You add in in some organ meat and eggs or whatever else you want to include and you are still well below quality kibble prices.

If it were me, I would switch completely to raw and I would let them settle down to a steady meal composition. That's just me. But that is what worked for me and I don't even have to think about their meals any more and they love it.

Last edited by wdkiser; 03-02-2014 at 11:19 AM.
wdkiser is offline   Reply With Quote