German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Lure and?
Thread: Lure and?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Charles T Richard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Free shaping! Really quite simple. You wait for the dog to offer something, very insignificant at first, even if it's by accident, towards the ultimate goal. You mark/treat and wait for just a little higher of criteria next, etc. etc. until the dog is doing the thing you want.

For easy of imagination, if I wanted my dog to go to the front door and stand there next to it, I would first click/treat for a glance or step (whichever he happened to offer first) towards the door. Then I'd click/treat for a step, or numerous steps towards the door. Etc. etc. until I'm clicking for standing against the door. I just raise my criteria between each reward towards the ultimate goal.

eta; A lot of people like free shaping more because you don't have to fade the lure and it's harder on the dog's brain, resulting in more mental work/making them more tired. It's also fun to have a dog that is actively engaged in trying to learn for you/the reward and watching the gears turn so that they are more of a "thinking" dog instead of a dog following your cues. They learn to problem solve, basically, which is intriguing.
I can understand that. I did watch some video today. They act like its easy. But, is one better than the other? Lure or FS? Will one hurt my dog? That's important to me.
Charles T Richard is offline   Reply With Quote