German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Tell us about the dogs in your signature.
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Castlemaid
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Default Tell us about the dogs in your signature.

Lots of names in signatures! All special and beloved pets or working dogs. Some are fixtures on the board and are familiar, others are only names on the bottom of a post, some are sadly long gone.

Some people don't even have a signature, so in that case, tell us about the dog or dogs you would have listed if you felt like it or ever figured out how to get a sig. Some people seem to have a whole pack underfoot all the time.

So I'll start with mine:

Keeta: adopted from the shelter. Only my second dog ever. My previous dog was also a shelter adoptee, some kind of spaniel/retriever mix, best dog ever! Passed on at 15 years of age, and after several months of grieving him, I felt ready to bring home another one.

The shelter named her Keeta: I liked the name and kept it. She was about a year old, picked up as a stray. People friendly, dog neutral, cat friendly - just what I was looking for.

Turned out she was probably a tied dog, had no training, no socialization, and had a mind of her own. As easy as my first dog had been, Keeta was a polar opposite. I tried to make her listen and control her by sheer force of will, and all we did was clash - whatever force of will I had, Keeat could match it! I gave up and went to classes with her (prior to Keeta, I thought classes were for loosers!) Boy, was I wrong about that! I LOVED training, learned a bag-full of stuff, and best of all, Keeta blossomed and changed, and we became a team.

She is nine - going on ten I'm guessing, and has slowed down a bit (just a bit). She is still a challenge, but she was the one who got me hooked on training and SchH, and I will forever be grateful to her for our journey of discovery.

Gryffon is five years old. this is actually his birthday! I never thought in a million years that one day I would be buying a dog ( I'm an adopt from the shelter kind of gal ). I also always thought that I would always be a one-dog-at-a-time type of person.
Well, Schutzhund changed all that. (Warning: IPO/Schutzund WILL scramble your brain cells and rearrange them in an un-recognizable pattern!).
Had to have a 'proper' Schutzhund dog! One that would chill in the house, be good with the cats, friendly with strangers, safe with little kids. Easy-going enough that he won't be bothered by Keeta's bullying, but confident enough that he won't be bothered by Keeta's bullying, and kick-butt amazing on the field. Oh, and sable too, if at all possible.

Amazingly, Gryffon is all that. I don't have much to say about him, because he just melds and fits into my life seamlessly, like flowing water. He is a joy and a pleasure, a natural at my side, always trying to please. He is best buddies with the cats, a confident but non-threatening side-kick to Keeta, and my best friend and AMAZING partner, both on the field and off. I never have to worry about where he is, or what he is doing, because he is always by my side, always trying to anticipate my next wish.

So what about you?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote