German Shepherds Forum banner

Waiting for 8 wks (fear period to ship at 8 wks?)

4K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  Maverick27 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all, my name is Adrian I'm new here. I've recently found a puppy I want and am still waiting for week 8. I need some input so if you have any please share. The puppy I found is currently with a reputable breeder in the mid-west, www.bandtcaninecoral.com. I've read about something called a fear period and I'm certainly concerned because the dog is going to be flown out to us. I'm not sure the details of the delivery however given the price she quoted I'm sure he'll be flying alone. I'd hate to shoot myself in the foot before I get started, so here's my question

Should I fly out to the breeder to pick up the dog or wait an extra week for the fear period to pass and then have her send him out?

Thanks is advance!

#2 ·
Well, I can't directly answer your question however I don't think it would make much difference if you flew out and back with the dog or just had the dog fly alone.

I will say that our pup was Mr. Brave at 8 weeks and the fear period came later. I am going to say each dog is different. Is there something to make you believe the dog is currently going through some type of fear period?

People ship pups all the time, The breeder included, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Discuss your concerns with the breeder, they should be very knowledgable on the subject.

#3 ·
My Sting was shipped at 8 weeks and did just fine. That is the usual age that breeders ship puppies as the airlines require the puppies to be at least 8 weeks old. Yes, there are fear periods. The Monks of New Skete in their book "The Art of Raising a Puppy" discuss the fear periods and mention that most breeders place their puppies with their new owners at 7-10 weeks of age as that is the optimal time for puppies to bond with their new owners.

#4 ·
mine was also shipped at 8 weeks (9 hour flight w/ layover) and he came out of the crate ready to play. he slept in that same crate at night.

at 9 weeks he was following me around while i was mowing the yard. a solid dog should do just fine. they might be fearful and get startled by things but a good solid dog will recover quickly.

i will say that does not look like a reputable breeder whatsoever. if it was me i'd cancel if i could and pick a better one.

#5 ·
The link you posted, shows ALOT of different breeds being bred. This is not a place I would even think of buying a puppy from.

I agree a solid dog should do fine. Mine was 8.5 wks and in flight for around 12 hours? no problems.

Honestly tho, I would rethink getting a dog from this place.

#10 ·
Thanks to you all! I tried calling and she was dodged my calls. I canceled immediately, and am going with a local breeder here in SoCal German Shepherd Dogs and German Shepherd Puppies California Kennels. Her lines are imported from Germany, and aka paperwork goes back 4 generations. I'm definitely more comfortable with this breeder. Thanks for all the input! We're going to visit the liter tomorrow, but can't pick til 3-29. Pics to come soon.

#12 ·
The difference between those two websites is astonishing. The first looks like it's aimed at children and had numerous misspellings, let alone the weirdness of the puppies. The second is much more professional with amazing dogs.

Good luck with your new pup!

#13 ·
Update

Me and the family went out to the ranch today and met the sire and the liter. Quinie, the dame, was locked out of the area where the puppies were so we could mingle. What an amazing facility she has several different kennels on the property and each dog with his/ her own area. Linda was knowledgable and very helpful all though she did cut me off when I mention dog parks. She said, "I don't care about other animals, but make sure you socialize the dog with people and kids." She mentioned some grotesque scenario where a larger dog would happily grad the puppy and dismember it accidentally. I was a little, uhh, 'dial tone' when she went there. Any how once again very excited and eager to get my new pup. We're getting a male but don't get to pick the puppy until the 29th. Here's a pic, although this dog may or may not be our dog. Thanks again everybody!

Attachments

#14 ·
Congratulations on your new puppy, I had an amazing dog from Linda years ago, a very nice female I miss terribly to this day. I'm with Linda though, dog parks are nothing but accidents waiting to happen, dogs don't need or want doggie friends, I would join a Club, of which there are many, or at least if not interested in showing or Schutzhund join a nice Obedience Group, of which there are so many in Southern California, if that's where you live.

#15 ·
Dog Parks?

I've seen some of the posts about the dog parks and am unsure of why so many people don't like them. Why are so many people against them? Why are they an accident waiting to happen? The dog park where I am has two different sides to it one for smaller dogs and another for big dogs. I would put a puppy in with the big dogs. I'm really not married to the dog park idea, but my daughters love going there and my Lhasa does just fine when he goes, of course he's 14 and very chill at this point, as well as going deaf so he prolly doesn't hear all the barking...

#42 ·
I've seen some of the posts about the dog parks and am unsure of why so many people don't like them. Why are so many people against them? Why are they an accident waiting to happen? The dog park where I am has two different sides to it one for smaller dogs and another for big dogs. I would put a puppy in with the big dogs. I'm really not married to the dog park idea, but my daughters love going there and my Lhasa does just fine when he goes, of course he's 14 and very chill at this point, as well as going deaf so he prolly doesn't hear all the barking...
Dog Parks, my cue post # 8.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/431289-new-dog-very-challenging.html

#16 ·
So from a $600 puppy mill to what $2K+? Drastic turnaround, what is the rush? Not that I am against breeder you are getting puppy from, but you go from a what I would assume is american line GSD with unknown parents, unknown temperament and unknown issues both medical and genetic to West German Show/Working line. Completely 2 different types of dogs. Hopefully you are aware that working line dogs are much different than the american line dogs you see almost everywhere around.

Good luck to you, at least you know that you are definitely getting a quality pup. Just make sure it is what you want. This is coming from someone that bought his first GSD based on looks only......from American Showline. He was healthy and beautiful for sure, but did not compare to working line.

#17 ·
dog parks are like taking a toddler to a pool and throwing him in the deep end to teach him to swim
one bad incident can scar a puppy for life and make it dog aggressive and in some instances yes even kill the puppy
your lhasa can help socialize him and maybe friends dogs who are tested around puppies and play well with them

#19 ·
The reason I went from the puppy mill to the the top of the pile was because I became educated. To be honest I've only ever owned Lhasa Apsos and at one point my moms female, Indy, had two litters. I got the first pick of the first litter. I went over and let the puppies out to play and was sitting inside watching them. My dog popped out of the kiddie pool ran over to me and told me his name. Sam is still with me today, he's 14.

I quickly learned about the Shepherds and their potential medical issues, plus many of you told me BandT was a puppy mill. Honestly, I'm glad I'm getting the dog that I am. My wife is not as out doorsy as I am, but she does jog twice a week, so when the dog gets older we'll be able to exercise him well. I love to hike and go to the park, so I'll likely get one of tennis ball flingers and take him to the people park. There's a great one by us with easily a football field of grass for anyones use.

You mention the American line vs the German line. From what I've read and heard the American lines have more medical issue then their foreign counterparts. I originally wanted an inexpensive GSD but as I became more educated on the breed I started to think, cheap in the beginning leads to very expensive in the end and along the way too, maybe... So I decided to spend a little more dough up front so that I'll have a good, solid, family dog that will be a part of our family.

My current dog is still doing well but he's not as playful as he was a decade ago, and my daughters think (because Sam is a small dog) puppies don't play. We've started taking him for more walks and last night he chased them around the kitchen. We actually had a neighbor who was keeping their friends 6 week old Lab puppy and we brought him over a couple of different times last week. Sam set him straight about tail nipping and there was no other incident, so I think Sam and the new guy will be just fine together.

#21 ·
While we were there we got to play with some 8 week olds that were all sold except for 1 female. What a difference from 5 weeks to 8 or 9. Energetic and mouthy, I could hardly move without stepping on one of them. We had a great time at the ranch and I left covered in pup spit and untied shoes! :D

#22 ·
From what I've read and heard the American lines have more medical issue then their foreign counterparts

not really
it all depends on the breeder in all cases
which is why it is super important that breeders are only breeding to improve the breed not just because they happen to have a male and female of roughly the same breed

#24 ·
WGSL can be a bit high strung - just throwing that out there. Temper-mental and not as solid with children as working line dogs.

Since this is your first GSD, I highly recommend asking the breeder for help in picking the puppy. The first pup to come charging over to you to say hello is NOT the pup you want. You want the pup who takes his time hanging back looking you over before he comes over to check you out. Read up on the puppy aptitude tests.

Definitely read up on Bite Inhibition, although little girls are far better at teaching this than boys. My daughter would scream dramatically and pout off 'I'm not playing with you anymore' - opposed to my boys who'd laugh at taking a nip and get the pup all ramped up.

As far as dog parks go, GSDs don't usually care about having friends. They like to play within their pack where they know the behaviors of the other dogs. GSDs don't care for nosy or boisterous dogs getting in their faces and if there's one term you take from my post, it's

Herder Overlord

#25 ·
WGSL, Working German Shepherd Line? They can be high strung and not as solid with children as working line dogs. Not sure what you're saying there.

I told the breeder that I wanted a family dog and although the dog I'm getting my have great lineage I'm not interested in shows or any of that stuff. She says she breeds for temperament. There will only be two males left by the time I get there so my options are A or B. I know enough to know that I want a calm, coo,l K9, and thank you for that advice. I'll check up on Bite Inhibition.
As for Dog Parks I really don't care one way or the other, but the girls love going there.

#29 ·
I've had nothing but West German Showlines and they have been nothing but fantastic with children, and I don't have children, they are every bit as solid with children as any working line dog, don't know how that fallacy started, it's complete B.S..

#35 ·
Gavin has a very plushy coat, and he's very masculine looking as well. If I was a dog I would be so into him :) LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.