German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Dog drinks excessively and will not eat his food
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
rherzog

Default Dog drinks excessively and will not eat his food

Need help!
I have a 12 month old German Shepherd dog that has symptoms that I have never dealt with in my experience with dogs. Ever since I brought my dog Zeus home with me at 8 weeks of age he has constantly been obsessed with drinking water. As soon as I let him out of his kennel each morning he will run straight to the water bowl and wait with anxiety until I give it to him, which he will down the whole thing as though he's never had water in his life. That is how he is like all day, and I have to watch very carefully how much he consumes because I'm afraid he will turn his stomach and kill himself.

The next very aggravating problem is that he will not eat, or barely. For all of my dogs that I owned, I had them on a feeding schedule, morning and night, 20 minute intervals at each time. And that is how I feed Zeus. In the morning I feed him 2.5 cups of food, and set a timer for 20 minutes. If he doesn't eat it, I take it away until dinner, and repeat the above process. He will barely eat, and most of the time he sniffs it walks away and then lays down, not interested. I have become so aggravated that I have gone to adding wet dog food, milk, cooked chicken breast, etc. but he will barely eat or not eat at all. I am very worried and stressing out over this dog and have no idea what to do next. I don't know if he might have a disease (diabetes?) or what not, (he has had these problems his whole life) but I am at the end of my rope. I am planning on showing him in AKC dog shows this year but cannot if he won't eat and gain weight with the necessary proteins and nutrients needed for a growing puppy... If ANYONE has any clues as to what might be going on please fill me in!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
rherzog is offline   Reply With Quote