German Shepherds Forum banner

Training Troubles: Too "Snippy" with Treats

713 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MissLilyBean 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been working on basic obedience with Stella (using marker words and treats). The problem is she gets so excited over her treats that she snaps at them with no regard to my fingers. I know it's not intentional, but she's bitten pretty hard a few times while trying to grab the treats. How do I encourage her to go easy and have a softer mouth?

Edited to Add: Not sure if this matters, but she eats really fast too... all the time. I can feed Sweet Pea first (and at half the amount) and Stella still finishes well before Sweet Pea is done.

#2 ·
Some of it can be controlled with how you hold the food. Place it in your hand close to your thumb and cover it with your thumb to trap it there. When you want, you can roll your thumb back to allow access to the food. Your hand can be open except your thumb do the dog can't bite anything.

This video shows teaching impulse control which can help too. I don't do this too much as I want the dog pushing into my hand for the food.

http://leerburg.com/flix/player.php/59/Leerburg_Food_Shell_Game/

David Winners

#4 ·
I should say that I struggled with this for a long time until I watched the ME videos and paid attention (I'm horrible about cherry picking videos, skipping the lecture and getting to the demonstrations).

I typically got nipped on the cuticles regularly and would wear thin gloves to help LOL

I know better now ;)

#5 ·
You and me both!

I've got good news. I've tried both the thumb trick and the stuff in that video already. LOL!

She appears to be getting the idea with impulse control when the treats are on the ground. Now I'm wondering if an "easy" command/correction might work with the other as well.

Ideally I'd love for her to have the coordination to catch treats midair like my Cocker does. We'll have to work on that. LOL

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.